My Blog List

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

SUMMER HAS ARRIVED


There are a few things to me that herald the start of the summer season. The gaillardias or blanket flowers coming into bloom in their hundreds is the first. This flower form is a new one for me this year. I planted the seeds of Gaillardia pulchella 'sundance' in the vegetable bed, with an idea to moving the seeds when they had germinated. They are still there along with the pink California poppies and the Alyssum saxatile! I saw them blooming last year at the Dallas Arboretum and thought they would make a nice change from the regular flower form.

My other vegetable beds are also overflowing with the blanket flowers and also the pathways- everywhere but out there beyond the walls. I have decided that the foraging cotton rats must be eating the seeds that I throw out. I need to bury them in the future.

The second harbinger of summer is the arrival of Chuck-wills-widow or the common night jar. Two nights ago when we had the bedroom windows open I could hear his distinctive call right outside the window. Listen to his call.

I also saw the first hummingbird yesterday.
I am also inclined to think that summer is here when the temperature reaches 93 degrees as it did today and will do again tomorrow. Time to say goodbye to the peas!


1 comment:

  1. Yep, I think my daughter's peas will find the heat too much for them to produce. Ah well, she's enjoyed seeing them climb, and maybe they'll continue to do that for a while.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.