My Blog List

Monday, February 15, 2010

GARDEN BLOGGERS BLOOM DAY, FEBRUARY 2010

I wonder what will be showing up in gardens this February bloom day, as Carol at Maydreams invites us to share our garden flowers.

The pages of my blog book tell a different story about what was blooming in the garden last February. So many flowers in bloom following a mild winter. This year on that same day it is hard to find more than a couple of blooms.

Iris reticulata is a new one; the bulbs planted last November. I don't know if this bulb normally does well in central Texas or the unusually cold winter provided the perfect growing conditions. I don't have a good track record with bulbs, forgetting where I put them and then digging into them some time later, so this time I made rings out of wire coat hangers to mark the spot where I planted them.

Daisy fleabane, Erigeron, certainly enjoys the cool wet weather we have been having. This self sowing plant is an asset in the garden because of its neat mounding habit. It is less weedy than many of my other self sowing plants.

The viburnum 'spring bouquet' is still in bud , whereas last year the flowers had opened to their more muted pale pink. The cool wet winter seems to suit the plant.


The native anemone, Anemone decapetala, is now blooming in large numbers on sunny days.


I still have a preference for the purple and blue flowers, this once seen with a new Mexican feather grass, Stipa tenuissima.


With the ground still too wet to work, I spend a lot of time looking. Looking to see if there are any signs of life in those plants which were really hard hit. For many it will be at least another month before new growth will show. For now it is the hardy plants which are peeking through the ground. These are new shoots of Oenothera, the yellow primrose.

Outside the potting shed door, in the gravel, all kinds of seedlings are growing. I have rescued a number of Lychnis, rose campion, which have been potted up until they are big enough to transplant into the garden. These plants are hard to find in the nurseries but quite easy to grow from seed sown in the fall.



Finally, in the house. My poor succulents, brought from sunny California, have been in the unheated potting shed. I brought them into the house and arranged them in a basket for us both to enjoy. Happy Bloom Day, gardeners everywhere.

18 comments:

  1. Despite the cold, wet weather, you still managed to find several blooming plants! I love your little basket of succulents. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems you have quite a bit of variety already. I'm impressed! Even more so with your "blog book". Not familiar with that practice but am quite intrigued...Suppose you might dedicate a post to that? What made you think of it and how you put it together, etc? I may be going out on a limb but think others would be interested as well. (and if you've already posted about this, apologies, but would you point me in the right direction to find that?).

    My crocus from the contest selection are up but no blooms yet, though I think I look at them about every 12 minutes out the window. A watched bulb never blooms??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lot going on there, already.
    Thanks for sharing your succulent basket.

    Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose, it's a beautiful bloom day at your house. I can see spring getting ready to take off. Happy Bloom Day. I love that native anemone.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blooms remind me that spring isn't so far away. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy GBBD Jenny, I knew you'd have a show! Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caroline-Happy bloom day. These plants are so small you really have to be looking closely to see them! Still, I spend a lot of time in the spring going round looking closely at the earth for signs of life. A flower is always a treat.
    TexasDeb
    Here's the post I did some time ago. It is a great way to save the blog. They do a great job and it is so easy to download. If you have a Mac you must do the download on firefox as it does not support safari. You can go there and down load and look at what a book will look like. Just remember not to add the comments as that doubles the price.
    http://wwwrockrose.blogspot.com/2009/07/saving-blog.htmlb
    I have some crocus up too, 'snow bunting'
    Linda, Happy bloom day to you. At least I am now getting to enjoy those succulents.
    Dee and Lisa -We'll all be glad when spring arrives. The sun is shining but it is bitterly cold and windy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a lovely variety of blooms, considering the weather. I'm not going to participate in GBBD this month. The only things I have blooming are the same pansies and allysum I had blooming last month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh - and a question too. How did you make that lovely book of your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny, these are lovely! I'm adding them to my list. Must have them all! I like your idea for marking bulb locations; I am so pathetic about remembering what I planted and where.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like spring will be knocking on your door soon. I know it can't get here early enough for any of us but since you've got some new shoots out there, that's a good sign. Interesting about the iris. I've never tried that kind either, mainly because the bearded ones are just so easy. But I do think your reticulata one is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is that lovely blue flower one of the native Anemone too?

    How nice that you had a book printed out. Which company did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed looking at your pictures! Especially the blue flower, the one that is not an iris. What is it? Of course, I really like the iris, too! :) I also liked your pictures from CA. I used to live in CA, not too far from Descanso Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, rose campion - I can see it in my memories. Love them. Speaking as a nursery worker - the staff usually waters them too much. Have to get them early.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Conscious G- It's not much of a display, only in close- up. But at least something made it through the wicked winter.
    jayne- Shared book did the printing. As easy as apple pie. You can download from your computer, then look at the book, turning each page. If you decide to do it look for a coupon and see my reply above.
    Linda- thanks for dropping by. I really should draw a map of the garden now I have so many bulbs, but that would be too easy!
    Jean- I certainly hope spring will be here soon- but not today. The only reason Iris reticulata is planted is because I won them. we'll see how they do.
    Sweet Bay- Yes, it is an anemone. First real signs of spring and the first native to bloom. Shared book did the printing.
    Ruth, It is an anemone, but not planted by me. These flowers are native to Texas.
    Tufa Girl- I love the magenta rose campion. It seems to like growing here with morning sun. I never have to seed it as it shows up each year, mostly where I don't want it. Outside the potting shed door.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some great Bloom Day pics. Love that rose campion, it reseeds in the neatest places, as if it knows who makes good companions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't feel bad, Jenny. You have more flowers than I. I'll be curious to see how that Iris does for you in following years. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As usual, you have lots of interesting and very different things growing in your garden. I love that iris - mine are growing, but none anywhere near bloom. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.