My Blog List

Saturday, May 8, 2010

GARDENS ON TOUR 2010

Today the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center hosted one of their major fundraisers of the year, Gardens on Tour. A glimpse into some Austin gardens where homeowners have chosen to garden with native and adapted plants.
I spent the morning as "plant person" at the home on Forest Trail, in the heart of Tarrytown. This splendid Confederate jasmine, forms a canopy over the doorway that once was an entry into their garage.

When the homeowners purchased the property they purchased a 40' wide strip of land adjacent to the house creating a wide grass corridor with planting on either side. This leads down to this water feature. Amazingly the neighbors on the street behind and one house over have built a similar water feature and the the gardens are integrated to form one communal area.

At 1pm I headed off to visit the other gardens.

Next stop and just around the corner on Bridle Path the front has been transformed from a sea of blacktop and grass to provide a place for the homeowners to walk and sit under the large, stately oak trees.

We have no shortage of rocks in Austin and this garden had some beauties. What a place to sit and enjoy a margarita!

Or in front of this fireplace with its gravel hearth.

I am always drawn to water features and this garden had two beauties. This one and...

This one.

A grouping of succulents and grasses soften the edges of the gravel steps contained in metal risers. We are starting to see the use of more metal in the gardens and this application is one of my favorites.
On to the garden on Sinclair Avenue.


The small front garden was created only 3 years ago although it looks as though it has been there forever. The center piece is a large yucca which is surrounded by grasses, aloes and agaves.
Just inside the low fence a granite pathway leads past an Anacacho orchid tree around the house.
I now took a detour over to Bonnie's house to pick up two cucumber plants. What a surprise to see her cholla, in the street swale, was flowering. Glad I got to see it. Bonnie, it's a beauty.

Time for home and a quick cuppa before touring the remaining gardens, south of Austin.

4 comments:

  1. You got your pics up fast! I loved that Bridle Path garden the most. But you captured the lovely features in the others as well. The Sinclair streetside garden would be an excellent deer-resistant garden, though I know that's not an issue in the Rosedale neighborhood where it's located.

    It was nice to run into you today. Did you make it to my in-laws' garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO wanted to do this tour. Family obligations, took us out of town. Maybe next year.

    The Sinclair garden looks like it could survive here, with all our deer.

    Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    ~~Linda...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What stunning Water Features. I particularly enjoyed the trickles of water and the gathering of lilies and rock formation on the huge garden pond. I would love to recreate similar features to that but on a much smaller scale. It's something you would never get bored of! With the help of UK Water Features I am on my way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam- I loved the roadside planting at Sinclair and you are right it would be deer resistant. All except the flowers on the yucca. They would have been dessert.
    Patchwork- There should be the MAster Gardeners' Tour coming up in the fall. Maybe you will be around for that one.
    Jane- Having water in the garden is so relaxing. Yesterday I sat outside with my coffee when a goldfinch came for a drink of water at the entry water feature. It was just perfect for him to stand on the stone and drink from the water fountain. I wish I had had my camera. Good luck finding your perfect water feature.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.