My Blog List

Friday, February 4, 2011

SNOW

What was that I was saying recently about how some snow would make improvements to the garden. It may have done if my plants had not been beaten into submission by two days of temperatures in the single digits.

I fear the worst for this Japanese aralia and for many of my plants. Thank goodness I removed all the agave desmettiana from the garden. I doubt that even the pups would have survived the cloak of mother's protection.

Here is what the garden looked like on February 4th in 2009. We were in California last year. That would have been a smart decision this year too, rather than our February 13th departure for Cairo! I will be starting seeds this year, after all!

and this is what it looks like today. I was anxious to get out there and see who had been visiting during the night. Only a few footprints. No deer, turkeys, raccoons. Just some cat- like footprints and a few mousy type.

6 comments:

  1. We were surprised by the footprints too...rabbits, and we think a small cat, squirrels but not much else. My aralia looks much like yours and I'm curious as to whether they'll make it. The snow does add a whole different perspective to the garden though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed that your aralia bounces back. How lucky you didn't make it to Cairo this year. My in-laws went to Egypt, last year; lucky for them, too. Happy snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen on television the hard winter that you are having ...
    However, your yard looks beautiful, covered in snow.
    I have some Aralia and has always supported good snow. Some leaves may be lost, but the snow cover protects them.
    I hope you have luck with it!
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deer and dog footprints around here.

    Bummer that you didn't get to Cairo before all hell broke loose (getting back before too!). Who knows when anyone will have another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're all happy that you saved the Desmettiana, since I forgot and left one of mine out. The other, though, is tucked away hopefully safely. What a difference in a year!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.