My Blog List

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A DIFFERENT KIND OF GARDEN

Leaving Portland we drove towards the coast to continue our journey down the Oregon coast. As luck would have it we hit Cannon Beach at low tide.

This is Haystack rock and we were looking for the tufted puffin.

While David headed off with binoculars at the ready, I was more intent on looking at the tide pool life. Along with plenty of other visitors. I will say that rangers and volunteers were out there making sure that no one crossed the boundary on to the rock, where many sea birds were nesting, or ventured too close to some of the more fragile intertidal zone.



Sea anemones were literally packed like sardines on the tops of exposed rocks, waiting for the sea to return with their supper.

In much smaller numbers, the tufted puffins breeding here, number only 25 pairs. They were nesting on the seaward side of the rock so difficult to spot, although David says he had his second puffin sighting of the year. The first was on Skomer Island, off the coast of Wales. Stay tuned for that on the continuing Great British Garden Tour.

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a puffin. We hoped to see some when we went to Alaska a few years ago, but no luck.
    This Marine Garden looks very interesting. I'm glad someone is there to protect it. So many people think the rules don't apply to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How grand that the tide was out!!! Lucky you!!!!! :) Beautiful sea creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how beautiful !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very cool. I love the last photo- that is an incredible shot- I don't know if you do black and white at all but that would really be nice in black and white as well. I love your posts on your vacations- it is like getting away if only in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special garden and how great to visit it with you! I love the next to last shot.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.