My Blog List

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

ONE MAN'S ASH TRAY IS ANOTHER MAN'S...........

One morning I was out watering and water collected in a depression in one of our rocks. A little bird came to drink from the water. It wasn't at all shy about my presence.


We have multiple bird baths and a bubbling water feature but there is always room for more. Driving into the neighborhood on Friday I saw a sign to an estate sale. I pulled in to see if they had anything garden wise. Nothing of interest except half buried in the ground outside I saw this stone with water in it.  When I asked about this forgotten piece of stone they told me $1. I'll take it. As I walked away the man said, "I think it was an ash tray" Then I saw the two places on the side to put a cigarette. Oh well, the birds won't mind I'm sure. I scrubbed it out and half buried it in the gravel.

15 comments:

  1. Nice find, and beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great! What a wonderful find. So smart of you to spot it and ask about it.

    Barbara H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love stones and other things with indentations sufficient to hold a little water! I found a small concrete cupped toadstool that I also keep filled for lizards and bugs. They get thirsty, too! I love your new rock. It is a beautiful addition. You seem to find the best stuff at sales and I enjoy hearing and seeing your great finds. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! Rock ash tray = $1; same rock as a garden ornament = >$50. Good design is also resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if you would have noticed the indentations had you not heard their comment? Funny. And DD is right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful find. Great idea to repurpose it. It looks nice in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool. Apparently I need to stop at garage sales occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good eye!! It looks great and I am sure the birds are very appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A positive use for something that was not so positive. Great find and I'm sure the birds thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your photo, especially seeing the reflection of the flowers in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Love the reflection - so pretty...

    Thanks for the info on the sweet potato vine. I'll pull up the tubers to save for next spring. I really like these this year. Now another plant is flowering...
    Also, would definitely be interested in the purple gomphrena. The seeds Robin gave me are red. Thanks, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect choice! I love it! It is so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't miss all the smoking, but I did like all the cool ashtrays from the 50's and 60's that my parents friends had on their glass coffee tables. Yours was a great find, especially for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty picture with the daisies reflected in the water. You must have gotten on your belly for that shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it's wonderful. What a great use for it! I never see useful stuff like that when I go to garage sales!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.