My Blog List

Monday, February 20, 2012

THE HYPERTUFA PLANTER

In the fall I made 3 planters using a mix of peat moss, cement sand and vermiculite: two round ones for the English garden and this one to put on the pedestal in the herb garden.


It wasn't that I was unhappy with the planter that was on there last year. Quite the opposite.


The fountain of Mexican feather grass, with the trailing ice plant and narrow leaf zinnia, softened the pillar and gave a focal point to the garden.
I did intend to plant this new planter with the same plants, but unfortunately I didn't make the planter deep enough. The form I used was rather shallow and with 2" of hypertufa it has little depth.


That is why the agave is sitting high up, to give it as much room as possible for its roots to spread.


Meanwhile my old planter still has its plants which have been cut back. If they make a good recovery the old planter may find itself back on the pedestal.

7 comments:

  1. Too bad the planter is so shallow - it looks like it goes so well with the pillar! I've been meaning to try making hypertufa planters at some point - what a great way to get some interesting planters more cheaply!

    Your combination in the previous planter is absolutely beautiful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made hypertufa, Jenny - did you have a mold for that one? The shape is beautiful. And I'm so glad you posted the pic of last year's planter, because I meant to copy it this year....gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me that I wanted to make a few more hypertufa pots this winter!

    Hypertufa pots are great, and fun too. If you're even slightly interested you should give it a try. There's no need to start with big pots either -- just make some little ones. You do need a form, so a bucket, another pot, a wastebasket -- anything that has a shape you like.

    The hardest part of the process is getting the bag of portland cement, which seems to only come in 90 lb bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are certainly the do-it-yourself types. First the stepping stones and now containers.
    This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great! Hypertufa pots are on my DIY to do list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how the new planter fits so perfectly on the pedestal. I am looking forward to making some more hypertufa containers this year. I made two last year, and I really like how the texture and form fit so well in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your planter looks beautiful! Very nice and I've got this linked to my hypertufa post as well today!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.