My Blog List

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

GARDEN DECOR, PART 1, THE ENTRY GARDEN.

The gardener is faced with an overwhelming variety of objects with which they can enhance their garden. The way we garden, our plant choices and decorative objects we add, is often a reflection of our personality. The important thing is how to add without overdoing it. Here is how I have added interest to our front courtyard.


It doesn't have to be an expensive process.  A few pots at the entrance way to a garden. My preference is for clay pots of all shapes and sizes, most of which I have picked up at garage sales for just a few dollars.
I think the clay offsets the riot of color otherwise found in my plantings.


Looking towards the main gate from the side gate the large bare area of wall demanded some filling. A weathered bench, with overhead hayrack planter, and  surrounded by pots did a lot to take up visual space.


On the other side a metal sculpture from Garden Ridge, sprayed brown, replaced the cross vine which had one been there. When entering through  the gate another grouping of clay pots leads the eye around the corner to the garden proper.


It is easy to find gifts for the gardener. This metal buzzard was a gift from one of my sons.


When we removed two crape myrtles from in front of the wall we were suddenly faced with an expanse of bare concrete. Having decided not to replace the trees we added these mirrored windows, (Sunset Magazine). David had already made three for the outside wall and there happened to be two mirrors left over. I robbed the outside of this wall of its pot gecko threesome.


A simple concrete birdbath adds height to the start of the dry creek bed.


One of my homemade hypertuffa pots with its prickly resident and surrounded by river rock. I made them originally for the English garden but I decided they looked better in the front.


A few sculptural plants. like this Whale's tongue agave  Agave ovatifolia, a metal bee and a pot with some bamboo (Thanks ESP).


And of course a place to sit and enjoy it all. This last shot taken last October when all the bluebonnets were gone.

8 comments:

  1. I love that, "...riot of color." And your bee--she's so cute. Your garden's lovely with or without the bluebonnets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks great, good ideas in this informative post and reasonably within reach of most budgets.

    I like the groupings of smaller clay pots. The metal sculptures add so much to a Texas style garden. Especially love the buzzard, it was such a nice gift.

    Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such lovely taste. One of these day I'm going to make some of those hypertuffa pots. I really like that look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have pulled off the cottage garden better than most I have known, anywhere in a more extreme climate. (with a Texas-English accent combo, somehow.."tea time, y'all?") I think I will post a few lessons on why the first 2 photos in this post work so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at your photos I kind of regret going with glazed containers and getting rid of my terra cotta, after all they do provide excellent drainage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty Jenny, very tasteful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My go-to for pots for the longest time was Terra-cotta...which I love. My partner, unfortunately, HATES them...which means I'm always searching for a new type of pot that we can both agree on...so far, no pots for me :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen a view of your garden that wasn't well-thought out with noteworthy hardscaping and fabulous blooms. You are such an impressive gardener — and clearly you take joy in the process and your surroundings. Just got back from the library where I read the Southern Living article; fun to see your garden through someone else's eyes. And Pam's comments were right on!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.