My Blog List

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

NEW DAY, NEW BLOOMS

I'm beginning to think that the garden is not saving anything for April, May, June and the rest of the year.

Today the blooms on the blue-eyed, Sisyrinchum grass opened.


They weren't too noticeable among the bluebonnets, Lupinus texensis,  and purple skullcaps, Scutellaria drummondii,  until evening. Late afternoon/ evening is their time.


The first claret-cup cactus, Echinocareus trichochidiatus, opened. Unlike many of the cactus blooms they have a life span of several days.


The white wine cup, Malvaceae Callirhoe involucrata, seen here sandwiched between the square bud primrose, Calylophus berlandieri, on the left and the alyssum on the right is a much more mannerly wine-cup.



The trailing wine cup may have a more stunning bloom but it is also can be very aggressive in the way it smothers everything in its path. Try digging it out when it has taken a firm hold between pavers. It has a large turnip shaped root. It is easily transplanted and very drought tolerant.


Clouds of damianita, Chrysanctinia mexicana.


In the evening light the soft leaf yucca, Yucca recurvifolia,  gets ready for the evening moth invasion.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely blooms. I agree, what will be bloomimg come late summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blue-eyed grass, but have never grown it in my gardens. Your blooms are beautiful--I suspect you'll have plenty as the season progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blooms. I thought that the other day....what if it all is fried before next month. Even the cacti are starting to bloom. Normally they begin this process mid-April. Early spring this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, Your opening line says it all for many of us gardening in the south! I told a friend who is planning on visiting in May, that I can't promise her any blooms by then. In the meantime, your garden looks lovely and must be a wonderful place to watch for moths and have a cool drink. gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love winecups, but you know who else does? White-tailed deer. Luckily I've got enough volunteers that I think I'll be able to enjoy the blooms this year.

    Glad to hear they transplant easily, as I've only done it when they were tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous...and I had no idea there was a white version of Callirhoe...I'll have to look that up!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.