My Blog List

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

DINNER WITH THE BIRDS

A family of Eastern Phoebes, Sayornis phoebe, joined us and entertained us at dinner tonight.


It was a great reward for the garden having produced the largest number of moths in all the years I have been a gardener. A family of four fly catchers entranced us with their aerobatic antics. Swooping through the air with great agility like WW2 spitfires. Coming to rest on the tomato cages.


The show went on long enough for David to go inside and get the camera and provide me with a nice shot of a perching bird. As we came inside the house David told me this was one reason why we can never leave here. I guess there is no retirement for a gardener!

9 comments:

  1. Aw, how fun! I love seeing all the wildlife that a garden attracts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I hear you...why leave, when you have a garden paradise? So much for rocks being a hindrance. (I should record what it sounds like here...the dawn and evening din of 2 kinds of quail, 2 kinds of doves, curve-bill thrashers, hummers, etc) I bet your area must sound incredible at those same times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send some of those "moth" catchers up here!! I have never seen so many moths in all my years either! Quite amazing!! They were chewing everything in sight in caterpillar stage. I imagine the mild winter played some part in all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how sweet! I bet they love your open spaces above the garden. Too much tree canopy in my garden for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's so cute!!! And fuzzy! Hopefully we will get some out at the nursery- now if we do I will know what they are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo.
    Gardeners are never without entertainment, are they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lovely reward for you and your garden, very nice photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine you ever wanting to leave. Your garden is such a beautiful place - and you and David made it that way.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.