My Blog List

Friday, April 20, 2012

THE KITCHEN GARDENER'S HANDBOOK

When I first started gardening, in a rental house, 44 years ago I had a row of petunias under the front window and a patch of tomatoes in the back garden. I still remember the thrill of the first tomatoes appearing on the plant. I would go out and count them every day. Almost every year since then I have grown tomatoes and I still feel the thrill when the first fruit begins to set.


I was delighted to receive this book from Timberpress for review. Jennifer Bartley has written a book that will delight both seasoned and first time gardeners, cooks and garden designers alike.
When we garden we garden within the seasons, whether it be flowers or edibles and that is the way Jennifer has laid out her book. From Spring through to winter each section highlights those seasonable vegetables, fruits and herbs and brings them together with wonderfully simple recipes. No table is complete without a centerpiece of garden branches or flowers which proclaim the season. Jennifer includes ideas for designing potagers and flower beds which incorporate both decorative and edible plants. Finally we cannot move from one season to another without preparing for the next. The author provides us with a list of chores. A new season is on the way.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was totally right.
    This put up actually made my day. You cann't believe simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!
    My web site > cabane de jardin en bois

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.