My Blog List

Saturday, April 28, 2012

SERENDIPITY

The first daylily bloomed today. I spotted it from the kitchen window, noticing a deep burgundy patch among the other plants.


Yes, I planted the daylily ten years ago but look what the birds did. They thought that the seed heads of the nigella, love-in-a-mist would look perfect alongside the lily and they were right. Have you noticed how so much of this accidental design goes on in the garden.
Of course many times it doesn't quite work out that well.

This Verbena bonariensis. So beautiful this year and there is no way I will ever pull it out even though we have to swat it aside every time we walk down the path. Which is often.


Then a Texas persimmon, Diospyros texana, behind the potting shed. For a while I thought it was a yaupon as the mocking bird is always dropping seeds from the parapets above the house.


Then last year I noticed those furry little fruits developing and realized the true identity. This year it is loaded with fruits. I really could have done with this tree somewhere else where it would have room to attain its full height. It may end up being another one of my espaliers.


Like this little yaupon I am training outside the greenhouse.


I love the retama but this is not the place for it. I know I cut it back down to the ground last year but here it is again. I know I will never get the root out. It is about to bloom so I will just leave if for now to waft around in the breeze.


Sometimes it gets really out of hand, as this patch of bare ground in the vegetable garden. Not for long though because I bought my first tank and this is where it is going to go!

16 comments:

  1. They sure do grow tall verbena in Texas. Ours here will only get to about 2 - 3 feet, in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was as a result of our mild winter. Caused no end of problems!

      Delete
  2. Wow that daylily-aquilegia colour match is fantastic! Perfect. And as for your 'out of control' vege patch, that is just plain beautiful! I would love it if my vege patch went out of control in this way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may need to do a post on how to espalier trees - after seeing your holly (at least I assume it's a holly) on the wall by the kitchen, I think I want to do that on the south side of my house - it has to be something that's narrow because there's maybe 20' between the two houses, and there's a gas line that runs down the property line, and I want to plant something that can be used by the birds to some extent (the neighbor has some red tip photinia that are done for)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pyracantha but you may not have noticed the yaupon on the study wall. It grew there from a seed and I have been training it to do the same as the pyracantha. Espaliers are a good way to dress up a bare wall.

      Delete
  4. Out of control never looked so good! I love the way you let the plants find their own place in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ally. It does make for more work though.

      Delete
  5. Love the verbena, do you find it to be overly aggressive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seed quite readily but is easy to pull.

      Delete
  6. Jenny, I saw that gorgeous combo myself today and remarked on how awesome it was. Beautiful daylily color, too. We need to do a daylily swap sometime; somehow I've ended up with almost all pink daylilies, though I bought 6 different varieties! LOVE that Love in a Mist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is time for me to divide but somehow I never get round to it. I also have two that have never flowered.

      Delete
  7. Wow, how tall is that verbena? It looks to be at least 5' tall, and I didn't realize they could get so large! Hoping mine that overwintered (first time ever) will end up looking like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. More than 5' Alan. All due to the mild winter. I think it may have reached its limit though. I have cut several back and they are growing again. Not an easy plant to kill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your 'garden helpers'...aka, birds and wind...do a great job. And, inside your fortress...which is what is necessary around here, against the deer...everything has a chance to get out of hand. Gorgeous!

    That verbena is a stunner. I need to find some of that. I think the deer don't eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been a good year for V. bonariensis here, too. Yours is in a good position for capturing well in a photo. I wish a native persimmon would come up somewhere in my garden. There are none near the house at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nigella is an annual I just can't seem to get going. Love what it's doing for that daylily!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.