My Blog List

Saturday, April 14, 2012

A WEEK OF YANKING

It finally got to me. Yes, I could no longer stand the plants in the pathways. Tired of doing my "Ministry of Silly Walks" walk. Long strides over bluebonnets and swatting aside the Verbena. Sprawling blanket flowers everywhere. They all came out.


Well, most of them.


I left this Verbena bonariensis, so loved by all the butterflies.


and this native mullein, as long as its leaves look attractive.


I then turned my attention to a corner of the upper level of the sunken garden. Three large columbines were looking decidedly sick from lack of water. When in doubt add another rock! This one was no mean size, being rather like an iceberg. This is a favorite spot for plants as the area escapes the blasting afternoon sun. I had a couple of Festuca glauca which I grew from seed and a Gomphrena globosa x fireworks. A couple of narrow leaf zinnias should finish off the spot.
I also took out a lot of plants in the sunken garden. Poppies galore this year.


A good tidy up can certainly make you feel a lot better. Now, please send us some rain.

13 comments:

  1. I cannot get over your garden. I say that all the time. You must get sick of it. But WOW. That bottom photo is so so so beautiful.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what your doing here - making me feel bad that my yard looks no where as nice as yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, your headline made me giggle. Yes, I'm really only 14 years old inside. Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Love your landscape planning here:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much color! I also got fed up with the bluebonnets and pulled them potentially a bit too early for good seed, but I'll let them dry and see what happens. Otherwise, ugh, yes, feels good to recover pathways! And yes, please rain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes...we need rain!
    I would love to have your problem of too much, in the garden.
    Yours looks lovely...as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I giggled at the visual of you doing the "Ministry of Silly Walks" walk. I've been pulling up a zillion milkweed sprouts for the past two weeks - wow those things are prolific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks so lovely and still so packed with goodness after paring down! Love the winecups and verbena, and generally everything. One of these days my plants will fill out and I can also do the Ministry of Silly Walks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I especially like your last picture. It's just right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny, It looks beautiful....Love the verbena and the poppies are stellar....and I do hope you get rain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd really like to let things re-seed, but all that dead foliage under foot does get in the way plus it doesn't look very good. Do you have a lot of plants started in pots to fill in the bare spots as you yank out the spent ones? Your garden always looks so full and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You inspired me to do the same in my paths and beds. Out come the manky bluebonnets, the leggy violas and the weedy alyssum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous image there at the end, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.