My Blog List

Monday, August 13, 2012

HOW MY HEART LEAPT

The hike up to Norton Lakes, the scramble up the scree on the far side of the lake, a hike past another lake and then scramble down the rocky slope. Where are they I am thinking and then I see them..


My heart leaps at this wonderful display of Rock fringe, Epilobium obcordatum. Growing in the sub-alpine scree from 8-10000'
This is the only place I have seen them growing. This small area on this south facing inhospitable scree above Great Lost Lake, and this year it is the best.



I just had to share the beauty.

8 comments:

  1. Very striking up there - surprises like that help me like the sub-alpine and alpine places a little more. Kind of makes up for a lack of oaks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to say, these are a great find! KUDOs. Wish I could be out there exploring the world more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing-the Rock fringe is so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wondrous display. I don't know if I prefer to see just one variety of flower in such profusion, or whether I like to see all kinds of different flowers mixed up in profusion. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful reward at the end of a hike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the first photo! Looks so lovely there. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Well worth the hike!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.