My Blog List

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

5,300 MILES, 6 WEEKS AWAY, LOTS OF CATCHING UP TO DO

We completed the last leg of our 5,300 mile journey with the 400+miles from Van Horn to Austin, arriving home at 6pm last night. It is never a good idea to take a look at the garden at this time of the day! Darn depressing, I can tell you. It looks as though there has been no rain here despite several people talking about 3" a few weeks ago. I was simply dying to get out there and start weeding. How is it the weeds survive without water... of course that is why they do survive.


Things look a lot better in the early morning light. A little overgrown perhaps.


Then there are a few that have not fared well without water. Still those babies are sure to save this plant from extinction.



In the front garden the blackfoot daisies show their mettle.


And the Lindheimer senna.


And the lanky liatris drooping over the rocks. We saw roadsides of this fall plant on our way from Fredricksburg.


I spent 2 hours in the morning pulling out weeds in the vegetable garden. All my butternut squash have disappeared and there were at least 20 when I left. Ah well, the price you pay to spend 6 weeks in the wilderness of our wonderful National Parks. 

20 comments:

  1. Your devil-may-care attitude (or at least that's my impression) is one I strive for! I also think your garden looks pretty darn amazing for being on it's own for 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that felt good to get out there and work in the garden a bit. Though it's tough to leave a garden, a few days back home and it's as if you never left--at least that's the impression I'm always left with.
    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the impression I try to give. Really it is far from the truth but if I get some good shots of the garden it makes me feel more positive.

      Delete
    2. I am so glad to be home and with no shortage of things to do, I can assure you.

      Delete
  3. I'm always amazed at how much my garden changes when I'm away for even a week -- in 6 weeks it would be like coming back to the wrong house I think. ;-)

    Oh, and Blackfoot Daisy is going on my list of must-have plants for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- the blackfoot is an amazing plant and likes to reseed in gravel. My garden changes a lot too. Mostly getting overgrown and weeds, weeds weeds. Keeps me busy.

      Delete
  4. Good heavens, you garden looks incredible for 6 weeks of total neglect! If I tried that, my garden would be swallowed whole by all manner of creeping weedish things.

    The grasses are beautiful amongst the purple coloured things. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you kind words. There are plenty of weeds but you don't want to see them I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. Amazing. We're about to go away for less than TWO weeks, and I'm nervous that nothing will survive. Timers help. But, not being here to check makes just makes me worry.
    If only it would look as 'bad' as yours, when we return.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny,
    I am so glad you are back, I was having withdrawal from seeing pictures of your garden. It is always such an inspiration.
    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind of you Malcolm. My problem is now I am still bogged down with all those English gardens to which I have to add 3 US gardens we visited this summer. And, there is all my own gardening to do.

      Delete
  7. Welcome back, your garden looks like mine and I've been at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to be home Greggo. Hope you had a good summer.

      Delete
  8. Those are weeds? LOL!
    What is that plant, with the babies. My neighbor gave me some and mine is HUGE! I love it but have no idea what it is.

    ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ella. It is a Kalanchoe, commonly known as Mother-of-thousands. Those are baby plants its only method of propagating itself. I have two varieties. this one and one with much narrower leaves. I have not been able to identify them as being different.

      Delete
  9. Your garden looks amazing, not as though you were gone 6 weeks at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome home. I can only imagine what a wonderful adventure you had. I look forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only you, dear Lancashire rose, would be depressed after looking at that view. If I saw that vision outside my back door, I'd be jumping for joy. Sorry about the squash...

    ReplyDelete
  12. My thoughts exactly, Caroline. Welcome back, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.