My Blog List

Thursday, September 20, 2012

PALAFOXIA. SPOTLIGHT ON A BEAUTIFUL NATIVE.

I'm not the only one who thinks this little flower deserves special merit. In my Wildflowers of Texas handbook, in which the flowers are arranged by color, this flower has a two page spread at the start of the Red-Pink flower section.


Hooker's Palafoxia, Palafoxia hookeriana, first appeared in my garden last year. I saved some of the seeds to make sure it would be there again this year. It is growing underneath the small Anacacho orchid tree and has mirrored the height of the 4' tree by growing up through the branches.  It was named in honor of the first director of the royal Botanic gardens at Kew, Sir William Jackson Hooker.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, so beautiful! I'm going on the hunt to add these to my garden. Thank you for introducing them to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful, aren't they? I think I've had them on my hill, but not four feet tall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly noticed this one on your Texas natives post, so glad to find more info about it. And your Yucca certainly does light up the garden.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.