My Blog List

Friday, April 26, 2013

FRIDAY HARVEST

I just couldn't wait to see if there were any potatoes down there. I'll just scratch the soil away from the plant that had flowered. Yes! I'm adding a few to the day's harvest for tonight's dinner.


So here's what will accompany the pork chops. Roasted beets dressed with Meyer lemon olive oil and white grapefruit balsamic vinegar over sauteed beet tops. Fresh sugar snap peas.



If you grow peas and you haven't grown Pisum sativum, Cascadia, then plan to put them on the list next year. These peas can be eaten at all stages; even when the pod gets fat with peas you can eat them pod and all. They are great for dips with hummus, stuffed, steamed chopped up in Italian dishes or curries. Then if at the end of the season if you have just eaten too many then save and dry the peas for next year. They are open pollinated so breed true.
But the part I'm looking forward to is those buttery yellow potatoes. There is just no comparison with grocery store spuds. They aren't quite as good as Jersey new potatoes but next best.

7 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful and your dinner sounds fabulous! I'm definitely planning on planting some sugar snap peas next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a harvest! You've sold me on the snap peas; I love a veggie with a relaxed picking schedule and lots of uses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm I will have to try that. Where did you get the meyer lemon olive oil, did you make it yourself? My favorite way to eat roasted beets is in a salad from a restaurant here, I will paste their menu description: Fresh beets roasted with a honey balsamic marinade and served with arugula and field greens, avocado, sun-dried cranberries, toasted pistachios and whipped garlic-herb Montchevré goat cheese. So. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried making the Meyer lemon oil but it didn't work. I bought it at this wonderful shop called Con Olio and the balsamic vinegar too. makes a wonderful dressing.

      Delete
  4. Wow. I've never even heard of "Meyer lemon olive oil" or "white grapefruit balsamic vinegar", but you've sold me! As a child, I grew up suffering through platefuls of "Harvard beets" (my dad, raised in Harvard MA, loved them)and I haven't eaten any since, but I'm sure your variation would convince me!

    Do you ever blog about your vegetable garden?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious.

    I never got around to planting a winter garden this time around. I'm sorry, too. We love sugar snaps peas. I'll put this kind on my list for next fall.
    And someday, I'm going to get real beets, and not just the tops. Not sure what I do wrong, but they're always just swelled roots...not really those pretty round beets.
    You inspire to keep on trying.

    Hope you got some rain last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My beets were mostly terrible this year. Too dry. I pulled out 2 rows today because they were stunted. No we didn't get any rain last night. I was so disappointed.

      Delete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.