My Blog List

Monday, April 1, 2013

I HAD THE MONDAY MORNING BLUES...AND THEN

I have had the blues for days now. Especially these ones.


Our native bluebonnets, Lupus texensis, always seem to prefer the paths to the beds.


But now today I saw a new wildflower, Phaecelia patuliflora. It is a member of the waterleaf family so I am not sure what it is doing here. I think it arrived when they were working on putting in a new street light and brought in some soil to repair their worksite.


Then the flowers on the blue eyed grass, Sisyrinchium pruinosum, opened. They open after lunch and stay open into the early evening.
Then suddenly my blues left me and the pinks arrived.


Today, one flower opened on the ladyfinger cactus, Echinocereus pentalophus.


At the same time the first flowers on Rosa felicia. She has a baby powder fragrance.


And the unpruned Zephirine drouhin rose with her delicious fragrance.


Believe it or not this rose grew from a root that grew out of the bottom of a potted cutting that was here. I moved the pot and shortly after this new rose began to grow. It gets no water or fertilizer but always puts on a spectacular performance. Who would be blue with all this!

11 comments:

  1. Why is there not a chair in the middle of that bluebonnet patch? I'd be sitting out there every day! (weather permitting) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blues are so lovely, and I can't wait until the roses bloom. Spring is here and the blooms will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the kind of blues I enjoy, mine are almost done now. Those fragrances sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your spring again...nice type of blues to have! (and pinks, etc, etc) Your continued posts are even nicer, since spring finally set in here, and I no longer have envy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Gorgeous roses, and those bluebonnets make me homesick for Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bluebonnets are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful, as usual.

    I'd love to have those kind of blues (and, pinks), here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My attempt at a wildflower meadow was a bit of a bust this year. I guess it was just to dry. I'll keep plugging away at it. I'd love to have a stand of blue bonnets as pretty as that out in the back garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bluebonnets are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful spring blossoms! I look forward to seeing the purples, yellows, oranges and reds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love to see spring in your garden, Jenny. That ladyfinger cactus is one I'll be looking out for at the plant sales.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.