My Blog List

Sunday, April 7, 2013

LINGERING AFTER LUNCH

One of the delights of having lunch outside is enjoying the garden. You couldn't possibly go back to work immediately after eating so why not linger a while and enjoy.


I have never been a great fan of Texas betony, Stachys coccinea, but I think it pairs quite nicely with this little groupling of artichoke agave, Agave parryi var. truncata,  Zexmenia, Wedelia texana, and purple skullcap, Scutellaria wrightii. I watched a hummingbird visit the other afternoon. It was busy visiting all the red flowers including this Claret cup cactus, Echinocereus triglochidiatus.


I just want it to keep on flowering but I fear the end of next week all the flowers will have faded. For now I think it is outright gorgeous. Behind the cactus are the seed heads of the Tulipa clusiana. I am told they are sterile and while I would normally snip them off they do have an interesting stripe.


Looking back towards the house is the Whale's tongue agave, A. ovatifolia, and the water feature and all kinds of self seeded Texas natives, including blackfoot daisy, Melampodium leucanthum, and four nerve daisy, Tetraneuris scaposa. Their blooms are a favorite because they keep on coming.


And a long shot of the garden looking back to the lunch spot.


A quick trip to the outside to look at the bluebonnets and it's back to work!


And a nod to this brown anole sunning himself on the cactus pad. Does he look a little old to you?



14 comments:

  1. I can see how it would be difficult to get back to work after lunch. Cute little guy. We have geckos here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! I love the Betony as well- tough little plant and pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have underutilized this plant. I need to change that.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I could ever get back to work if I had that little paradise waiting for me just outside. I never get tired of seeing photos of your garden. You make it look so effortless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heather. I spend a lot of time out there fussing!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, a stroll in the garden is only natural after lunch. I like Texas Betony for its toughness year round.

    I received a claret cup cactus from a plant swap the weekend and it has blooms about to open so I will get to see them soon. The anole does look like he's been around a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about the flowers is they last for days, unlike the lace cactus. You'll love it.

      Delete
  5. Your grey chinned, brown anole does seem to have a certain knowing and wise look in his eyes as he surveys his domain. Enjoy your day in your beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love the cement slab walkway. Do you have more photos of this area in another post? I am trying to convince my husband to do something similar, instead of using just gravel. Did you make the walkway yourselves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was the only thing we didn't do. I did mark out where I wanted it but the concrete was poured and then they came in a impressed the surface with a river bed pattern. We have done a job like this in the past without the imprinting.

      Delete
  7. Love that swathe of Bluebonnets...so beautiful...and I'd leave those Tulip seedheads too...they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a siesta in the garden is even more natural after lunch. Getting the hammock out when I get back! Even if I don't have agaves, boulders, and bluebonnets...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Claret cup cactus is stunning! Your garden looks so pretty. Love the blackfoot daisy and the Texas betony. I've had an aversion to planting Texas Betony as well. It looks great in your garden.

    PS I mentioned you on my blog today. Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your garden blog. It is so nice to see what works in other gardeners yards. Thank you for introducing me to Blackfoot daisy, zinnia linearis, Chocolate Daisy and so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gazing at your blog post made me reluctant to go back to work. When my boss fusses, I'll tell him it's all your fault. Loved the "old" anole.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.