The makings of my trough started at a garage sale last year. A couple of large sheets of insulation board going cheap. Just what I need to make the forms for a large trough.
I made up the box and it sat there in the garage for several weeks. Somehow I just couldn't get round to finishing the project. It was the thought of deciding how much material it would take and of mixing up the material. I enlisted D to help with the calculation and the mixing.
2 parts peat moss, 2 parts vermiculite to 1 part portland cement and water added to make a cottage cheese like consistency.
I strengthened the box using tape and bungee cords looped together and added some chicken wire for reinforcement and 5 corks in the bottom for drainage. Then I added the hypertufa, building up the sides to form the right thickness and height. After 2 days I removed the form and wire brushed the surface.
Planting time. I bought a couple of new sedums, Sedum rubens 'lizard', and from my own garden, bunny ears cactus, Opuntia microdasys, Confederate rose agave, Agave potatorum, and Sedum potosinum.
Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - December 2017
7 hours ago