My Blog List

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

WHAT A FRILL!

I was just lamenting the lack of a frilled poppy this year. I suppose it is because I tend to control how many poppies throw their seeds, removing their heads before they ripen.  I had already walked past this area this morning and never noticed.


And then the second time there it was. The flower of my day. Of course the bees don't like this flower. They can't find the pollen among all those petals.


With the threat of wind and thunderstorms tonight I decided it was time to go out and take a few photos of delicately petaled flowers.


Pink evening primrose, Oenothera speciosa. What's not to love about this pretty pink flower? It's rampant invasive behavior?  Still, now I have it and it isn't going away anytime soon. I might as well enjoy it and I do.


Then the mock orange, Philadelphus "natchez' In the space of 24hours all the blooms opened. That's what 3 days in the 80s will do. Every year I say the same thing. "Hold your horses" and save something for next week, please.

9 comments:

  1. The year before my mom passed away she gave me
    seeds for what she called the double pink poppy. These had grown in my grandmother's garden in Houston. She spied them in someone's garden and asked for a few seed pods. Almost every year, except this past year, the first one blooms on my birthday in March. It has been a sweet gift of remembrance!I usually collect the seed pods because I learned after the first year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this lovely story. I hope your poppy blooms soon. I don't know if I collect the seeds from this one whether they will breed true but I intend to save the seed head and find out next year.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blooms!
    I've never grown poppies - maybe I should!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy to grow. throw the seeds out int he fall and they will appear.

      Delete
  3. Crazy weather for sure. I hope you got some rain out of it. I planted a mock orange for the first time. Mine has chartreuse leaves. I can't remember the name of the cultivar right now. I love all of those flowers.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poppies are such a funny flower in my garden. No matter how many seeds I throw in the beds, they only seem to grow in the paths. Silly things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a pretty one, my poppies haven't bloomed yet, I'm thinking they are slowed by the weather a bit. I think you will have plenty of blooms left for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can smell your fragrances from here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good attitude about the primrose. It is a particularly lovely flower especially in a large mass.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.