My Blog List

Sunday, December 21, 2014

A NEW OWL HOUSE

My dear husband made a new owl house this week. The squirrels and ants can have the old one! That one was set deep in the trees and although we did have an owl roost in there one time we have never had a successful nesting. It was also difficult to watch over.


Here is the new box in a much more open situation. The bonus is I can keep my eye on it from our shower. The new box has a hinged door on the front which will make it much easier to clean. Any signs of squirrels setting up house will be quickly interrupted.

Originally there was a regular bird house in this spot, which David removed yesterday. He only put it up last spring and to our surprise there was a beautiful nest inside. Should I have been surprised? Not really, because the wrens make nests all over our garden. I have no idea if they used this one but it is beautifully made with a deep cup lined with soft materials like wool, insulation and feathers.
One of the nice things about this bird house is that it has a sliding panel across the back which makes it easy to clean out. We plan to put this up again in the front garden.


We are keeping our fingers crossed for an owl family this spring.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! And in such a great spot. I rarely hear owls in my neighborhood but sometimes in the fall late at night I'll hear the soft whinnying of an Eastern Screech Owl. Lovely sound. I hope you get an owl and not the dreaded squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Owls are such mysterious creatures. And good for rodent patrol! Good luck in attracting a family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll have a nice owl family there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice.
    We need to put one up. I think we heard an owl, just the other night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been deeply pleased to hear owls serenading us in the early evening hours lately. I haven't seen them in our trees yet but I'm glad to have them back in our part of the neighborhood. What fun to think you could have a family setting up in sight of your shower. I'd be so squeaky clean if that happened here... And of course if you do attract a mating couple to nest that will at least take care of certain squirrels.

    [What do you all do with your discarded nests/nesting materials? Do you leave them out to be re-used? Will birds build that way, with recycled materials?]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment inspired me to investigate what does happen to old nests. It seems Great horned owls will reuse any kind of nest including squirrels. Phoebes will also reuse nests, mainly because they seek out a sheltered platform and most will already have a nest on them. They just build on the top even if there are old eggs in there. Other nests in the open are often in a bad state after winter has dealt with them. I suppose it might be a good idea to leave this nest in the box. It may get some use next year.

      Delete
  6. I hope you get a family this time, Jenny. I've been on the lookout for an owl in ours, but no sign yet.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.