My Blog List

Monday, June 15, 2015

GARDEN BLOGGERS' BLOOM DAY . JUNE 2015

Rainy skies are once again hanging over central Texas on this bloom day. Our recent strange weather pattern is making for some anomalies in the garden. Flowers that would normally bloom in the fall are blooming now and some that finish their bloom cycle in the spring are booming again. These are the flowers blooming in my Central Texas garden at the moment but photographed before the rain started.


Standing cypress, Ipomopsis rubra, is a biennial and reseeded in my garden this year. Although they grow in dry sandy soil it would seem that the unusual amounts of rain we had in May are responsible. The hummingbirds love this plant which is usually around in the fall when the hummingbird migration begins. A June appearance is very early for my garden.

And how unusual to see another crop of California poppies. I am thinking that many were beaten to the ground by the hail we had in April and were determined to bloom.


This is the first blooming of these rescue, nameless day lilies I bought several years ago. This year I moved them into a better spot and they like it there. I am thrilled with their rich, deep color.


They are growing in front of a spineless prickly pear cactus. Is that scale I see on some of the pads. This is a common problem with prickly pear and easy to miss.
Another hummingbird favorite is the Dicliptera suberecta, sometimes called the hummingbird plant. But be careful about using a name like that because there are quite a few plants with this common name.



Another late bloomer is the columbine, Aquilegia chrysantha.


Scabiosa was another rescue plant that has continued to perform for several months. Battered by hail it has come back again.


An Agapanthas  I nursed back to flowering this year, along with the foxgloves.


Small flowers often go unnoticed but how could you miss these. The plant on our outside table sends out these long shoots which stretch right across the table in all directions. Then produces  the tiniest of flowers.



 Many thanks to Carol at May Dreams Gardens for bringing you here. I hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful bloom day in their garden.

16 comments:

  1. Very rainy here but nothing like what Texas has been having. Love the plant on your table; perfect location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my Ipomopsis rubra every time you post a photo of it. I should sprinkle seeds around again and see what happens...

    (The inadvertent view out into the yard from the table is a unique angle that we don't usually get to see!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of gardeners, myself included, have mentioned distorted bloom cycles this year. I have to look for the Dicleptera - my Sunset garden guide indicates that it should grow here too. Happy GBBD Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of nice blooms. The Standing cypress is gorgeous. I wish I could grow it, but I don't think I have the full, full sun required. I'm also impressed that your Dicliptera suberecta is blooming: I usually get a smattering of blooms in July--and that's it. I like the foliage though, so it'll stay where it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm joining in with admiration overall, but especially for the Dicliptera. Mine are putting out lush foliage but not a single bloom so far - usually a late summer appearance here so I've not lost hope. I'm happy your gardens are getting a bit of extra rain and overcast skies to help them recover from earlier insults this year.

    I've tried Agapanthus - fell in love with them when we lived in Northern California years ago - but haven't had luck with them here. Are you overwintering yours in the greenhouse? Are yours in part sun only? 'Fess up, lady...what's your secret to get those gorgeous bloom spikes?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My secret to Agapanthus is I started to treat it better. It was once in a pot. I put it in the ground where things grew over it. Last year I put it back in a pot in some decent soil and in the sun. I was rewarded. I'm hoping my dicliptera will do better this time. It really needs the sun as the one I had in a shady spot did nothing at all.

      Delete
  7. Just lovely! I keep trying to grow California poppies being it is where I am from....but we are too wet. I love the flowering Opuntia, i have several babies i have started. Your Scabiosa are beautiful! Happy bloom day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My standing cypress is blooming early as well- this weather has all the plants confused. Beautiful pics- your garden looks like it is coming back from the hail steadily!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Ipomopsis and the Dicliptera suberecta! My Californai poppies are blooming as well, but the prickly pears still need a while - although yesterday I saw some out of the car on a rocky slope by the side of the highway that were already in full bloom - definitely an unusual sight for Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dicliptera is always a late summer/fall bloomer here, probably due to colder winters than yours. Mine was killed outright last winter in the severe cold/excess moisture weather pattern that killed other things as well. We will see how this coming winter behaves then I'll decide to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your scabiosa, such a beautiful color! You have a gorgeous garden :) Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your March garden is just lovely. It's been an interesting winter, hasn't it? Or should I say non-winter? Spring has already kicked down the door here in Southeast Texas and it's like winter never happened...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your early garden blooms are looking lovely this March and I love the Ipomopsis rubra, catci and color combinations of warm and cool hues. It certainly has been an interesting winter...or winter that wasn't and your gardens look like they are in full swing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your tiny tabletop flowers might be something like a South African Haworthia?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.