My Blog List

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

ICE ON THE BIRD BATH, FROST ON THE ROOF.


I hate to harp on about our weather this year but this was the last straw. Despite having covered my tomatoes, basil and countless other tenders, it was cold enough last night to burn many plants. I know when we have cold it means it is much colder up north but we are past our frost date by several weeks. The Salvia leucantha experienced a set back. Several tomato plants may not recover. Not the prettiest picture to head up the blog post.



The bonus for a clear cold night is a gorgeous day and the pink primroses were at their best in the evening light. Invasive little plants but such a joy when en masse.

An absolute favorite at this time of year is the blue-eyed grass, Sisyrinchium. In my garden they don't open up their petals until late afternoon but what an end of the day show.

Sedum potosinum, with its star shaped flowers, fills cracks and crannies in the sandstone paving of the sunken garden.


This columbine, growing in the Spanish oak garden took me by surprise. How did it get there?

This is one of two blue wildflowers growing in the arid landscape. This one name unknown.

The second is the blue star, Amsonia ciliata. It put on a very poor showing this year.

At least the pomegranate survived unscathed. I think it is going to be a bumper year if the number of flowers is anything to go by.

Last year I started seeds of Scabiosa. No idea which variety and I had completely forgotten until I saw this flower peeking above the larkspur.

It wasn't all walking around looking at flowers and taking photographs today. I began to tackle the bluebonnets in the front courtyard. It was impossible to walk through. They really had become the bullies of the garden, crowding out more valuable plants and making them reach for the stars. So out they came.

This is the mountainous pile. I really felt badly doing it but it just had to be done.

7 comments:

  1. That salvia was scary looking but the rest of the flowers were a feast for my winter weary eyes.

    I know what you mean about pulling out blooming plants. Sometimes, it just has to be done! But that's a pretty pile for the compost bin.

    Carol, May Dreams Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when they used to say that it was illegal to pick bluebonnets. :-) I was never sure if that was actually true at one time or not. So sorry to hear about your cold weather. We had it too but I think they predicted it a little better here as my plants made it through fairly well with some protection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do get chilly where you are, Jenny. It didn't freeze in NW Austin, at least not in my garden.

    I'm having a bumper year of pomegranate flowers too, although mine is a different variety, based on the look of the flowers. Can you tell me how much sun your blue-eyed grass gets? I burned all mine in my old garden by planting in full sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol- My compost bins are overflowing. I only hope they left some of their nitrogen behind.
    Jean- It's a good job it isn't illegal because otherwise I'd be in for a very long sentence.
    Pam-Full sun part shade they seem to be happy everywhere. I do notice that the ones they sell commercially are a lot shorter than mine. Mine are the natives that were growing on the lot. They are profuse re seeders. I'll save some for the bloggers tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny, according to Howard Garrett, our native yellow and red columbines can hybridized when planted near each other. Perhaps a kind bird did it for you? Whatever the reason, it's a stunning flower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that blue-eyed grass is gorgeous. I'm putting it on my wishlist. I hope the mild weather we've been having has helped the salvia leucantha bounce back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori- I will have seeds for everyone who would like them at the tour.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.