My Blog List

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

LACE CACTUS

I have been keeping an eye on this lace cactus for a few days knowing that any moment the flowers would open. This is the lace cactus Echinocereus reichenbachii and today it wowed me with its perfect rose pink flowers.


Tucked in among the large ledgestones on the granite parking area it has bloomed every single year. I hope it lives on for ever but it may already be reaching old age. Rarely growing taller than 8" it may stand alone or produce several branches. Once I trod on one by mistake and the damage caused it to branch. That was a happy accident.

I caught this perfect flower shortly after it opened. Oh, the joy of flowering plants. 


3 comments:

  1. I have a lace cactus in bloom, too, although it's blooms looked a little droopy after the cold snap. Hopefully it will open some more - beautiful flowers! - Katharine @ http://fitsandstartsaustin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful flowers. I love the first picture with the bluebonnet sneaking in.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.