My Blog List

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

CHRISTMAS IN PHOENIX

We never expected to see this scene, but this is exactly what we woke up to a week ago in Lordsburg, New Mexico, on our way to Phoenix for Christmas. Continuing on I 10 it was a desert winter wonderland with snow on the yuccas soon to be replaced by sunny skies when we arrived in Ahwatukee.

It was all fun and games on Christmas morning with little ones tearing open the gifts and two dogs running around.

On Boxing Day we all went to Las Noches de las Luminarias at the Desert Botanical Garden.

Unfortunately I found myself not very skilled at taking night time shots so it was difficult to capture the gardens illuminated with hundreds of candles.

Since we arrived there has been a ground frost every night and at the garden they were taking precautions to protect some of the more frost-sensitive cacti.

Our grand daughter skated for the first time on the artificial rink. It was amazingly realistic with a snow maker which thrilled the little ones as it puffed little clouds of snow every five minutes. A little different from when our boys were growing up in Montreal where a white Christmas was a sure thing.

Music was everywhere with carolers, mariachis, jazz and our favorite, the bell ringers.

The last time we were there Chihuly glass mingled with the plants. This time the art work was more in keeping with the history of the area.
We sipped hot chocolate by the fire pit and listened to music as the magic of the garden unfolded around us. It was a wonderful evening for young and old alike.
HAPPY NEW GARDENING YEAR EVERYONE

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I think you got some good night shots! Cheers to a happy 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! Snow and beautiful lights (great picture) and wonderful family. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas snow in the desert must have been such an enchantment. I enjoyed your boxing day evening photos from the lights to the skating. I too struggle with night photography...maybe time to take a class.

    Wishing you all the best in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a good trip. Your photos look good, to me. I tried taking Christmas light photos, and it just didn't work. More practice is in order, I think.
    Welcome back. Have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your last shot, Jenny. How I'd love to see that garden one day. I enjoyed all your family and snow pics too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny-

    Thanks for sharing. What a beautiful, snowy Christmas you had! Warmly, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  7. That most beautiful Christmas!
    It´s a time of year I love ... snow, the decorations, everything looks magical.
    I was fascinated by Las Noches de las Luminarias , I've never seen a garden in this way. It´s really spectacular and beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing these photos.

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.