My Blog List

Monday, July 25, 2011

SEATTLE FLING DAY 2

It is easy to get seriously behind in postings about the Seattle fling (not to mention my Great British Garden Trip). We have reached the end of the Fling and here I am on day 2 of the 4.

We awoke on day 2 to glorious clear, sunny skies and cool air. No sooner off the bus than those cameras were out and clicking and we weren't even in the garden.

THE EPPING GARDEN (Newcastle, Washington)

Everyone was looking at the spectacular view from the driveway of Christopher and Michelle Epping's house.

From the patio you can just see the Seattle skyline in the distance and Lake Washington below.

It seems that everyone in Seattle gardens on a slope. The Eppings met the challenge by creating a paradise of pathways which lead you through the multiple levels of their garden.

Not surprisingly, the plantings are magnificent.

The gardeners have a wonderful eye for combining art with plants. Around every corner we were greeted by little vignettes which invited you to linger and take in the scene.

You just couldn't see it all in one pass. I went back several times, first in one direction and then in the other.

They had created some of the most beautiful pots I had ever seen. Succulents seem to be at home in this climate as much as they would in the Mediterranean climate. We were to learn a couple of days later that the climate is far from that.

Maybe the pots spend the rainy winters in this delightful little shed.




We were invited to linger a while, have a welcome cool drink and read about the making of their garden which had been featured in the local newspaper magazine.

My thoughts were full of ideas as we re-boarded the bus to travel to our next garden.

THE LANE GARDEN (Medina, Washington)

Denise Lane gardens under towering Western Red cedars and Douglas Firs, but has created open paved areas for entertaining and grassy areas edged with colorful perennial borders. For me the favorite place was the 'ruin'




Where was my notebook when someone identified this delightful little vine draping itself over the ruin.

We ate our lunch in this delightful garden setting. Refreshed we moved on to the..

BELLEVUE BOTANIC GARDEN



Just look how big those bee balm are. As tall as Diana Kirby of Sharing Nature's Garden.

Pink palette of achillea and sage.



We were all starting to flag a little under the hot bright sun and simply had to find a shaded place to sit. We still had one more visit, that to the Olympic Sculpture Park. Some of our group had not had the chance to visit the Pike's Place Market and so chose to visit the market instead. We ended up having dinner on the water front at the Pink Door Restaurant. A wonderful dinner to end a day that couldn't have been more perfect.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of beautiful, COOL gardens. Your crimson pot photo is breathtaking. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed looking at your Seattle photos, gives lots of new gardening ideas but of course adapted to Texas climate. I wish some of that cool air in Seattle would float to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you are having a fantastic time!!! I love all the posts as I feel like I get to take a tour as well. Yes, I will save you seeds- of course! I wouldn't have thought of that so I am glad you said something. I can't wait for it to rattle -have you seen those before? I have not.
    I have never been to Seattle but always wanted to go. I would think this is the perfect time of year to be there. Believe me, you aren't missing much here with our 105 days..... ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Eppings garden taking in the incredible view is amazing. I love it when great art is matched with a great garden.

    Your unknown vine is Rhodochiton atrosanguineus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally some bamboo! ;-)

    Beautiful gardens for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha - are you saying that I am short?! You got some beautiful pictures with great lighting. And you were shooting into the sun on some of them even before our photo workshop! You really captured the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos with great color! And you are not behind...not even close...lordy I'm just getting started looking through all of my photos and you're already posting!

    I am so glad I got to meet you!

    -Loree

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diana-Sorry if that came out with the wrong interpretation. I really meant that they were really tall. Where else do you see plants like that as tall as people.
    Loree-Only because I had my laptop with me and did those posts while still in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These gardens are simply amazing. So many beautiful vignettes and wonderful use of art and beautiful flowers.

    You asked about the face cover on my horses ~ those are see-through mesh fly masks, to keep the gnats out of their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photographs are fabulous - so much better than mine. I think you ought to present the next photography workshop...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't made one post yet, Jenny, so imagine how far behind I feel!

    I too noticed all the succulents in Seattle and how happy they looked. Good drainage in their rainy winters would've essential.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.