My Blog List

Thursday, June 18, 2015

ONE POTAHOLIC MEETS ANOTHER POTAHOLIC

If you have read my previous posts then you know one of the things I like to do is seek out garden pots and decoration at garage sales. I have a preference for clay pots and almost all the pots in my garden have been procured this way. Saturday was a dream come true. We chanced upon someone with a similar liking for clay pots and with a move in their future they were out to find a new home for theirs. I was their girl.


The long rectangular pot was the one I spied first and with a dollar price tag I knew it was going home with me.  Then I picked out a couple of the larger clay pots. It was only when I got in conversation with the homeowner that I learnt there were more pots around the back. All these rectangular pots and the tall glazed pot.


The deal was done. We were taking them all home. My cactus and succulents are going to be thrilled to have new homes. I always remember James David's collection of rectangular pots on his porch. That is my plan. Garden Bloggers may remember visiting his house and garden at the first Spring Fling held here in Austin in 2007.


This pot 'thing' has been coming on for quite a while. If I don't see pots I always ask if they have any and it is amazing how many have these empty pots around the back that they seem to think no one wants. So maybe I am the only potaholic in Austin.
The tall glazed pot is at the front door where it awaits a cactus, possibly one of my barrel cactus or something tall like a sansevieria. I will be happy to have this pot in the house during the winter.
My other little dollar find was this glazed frog. I knew he would just be perfect on my water feature in the front garden.


Heavens! Is in nearly Saturday again!

13 comments:

  1. Wow - that is an absolutely epic haul, and all at bargain prices to boot. What a treasure trove. And the frog already looks like he's always been there. I bet his grin isn't much bigger than yours at this point!

    My main source for pots is from thrift stores, where I don't see many terra cotta planters, mostly ceramic ones. I've gotten spoiled, and when I price pots at nurseries or online I'm occasionally shocked at how expensive they can be. I've ended up with a real hodge podge and often wish they were all one material, or one color, because I agree that massed in one area, it is more attractive for the pots to be unified in some way. You are going to have a lot of fun arranging those - can't wait to see the results in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to use my friends mish-mash of pots, including those hideous plastic pots. I painted both clay and plastic with spray paint, made to go over plastic. They lasted at least 6 months and unified the look.

      Delete
    2. After so many bargains I find it hard to buy at a store anymore. I was looking at an orchid pot the other day but just couldn't do it.

      Delete
  2. That is an amazing collection to find all at once. They will all work so well in your garden. Love the little frog, so appropriate for all this rain.

    I once arrived just seconds too late to score a similar haul so I know there is competition out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed out before Shirley but this time I was there first! I was a happy gardener for the rest of the day.

      Delete
  3. Great score! I love the frog, he is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We Portland area garden bloggers had a sale last weekend and I sold a couple of those rectangular Italian pots - but for more than a dollar! I also had a couple of boxes of free terracotta. They went quick! You are NOT the only one with an addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your sale was a success. So you are out of terra cotta? I hope I don't venture out because it will get a lot more expensive.

      Delete
  5. You scored big time! My favorite pots and decorative garden stuff have come from garage sales. The thrill of a good find is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a haul! That frog is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gave away some pots and felt good...guess I'm de-cluttering! Your find is a good one, sure to get some intereting plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you lucky girl! I would have been right in there pulling a couple of those pots out of your hands. I still have clay pots that often never make it out of the garage but I am not getting rid of them until I have to give up the garden and move into senior living! We have lots of our big pots indoors for the winter. They make a great statement.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.