My Blog List

Friday, September 22, 2017

I'M A CREATURE OF HABIT

For years my morning routine had been to get up, check the weather, email etc. until 7:00am, when I would take a tray of tea to the bedroom and switch on the TV. We would watch the morning news while drinking our two mugs of tea, each, and then proceed with the day. David would make the breakfast while I emptied the AC buckets and did a little general watering, we would eat breakfast together and then I would go out into the garden and start my garden work while he washed up (what an angel).That is, until a few months ago when I decided I no longer wanted to watch THAT depressing news, anymore. So no more lounging around in bed with cups of tea. Plus summer mornings are not to be squandered.


Once this habit was broken it was quite easy to move on and break that new habit. This past week my routine has changed completely and I am loving it. Of course there is no breaking the tea habit, that is a must and I can say that wherever I am in the world tea goes with me and sometimes even my teapot! So the new regime this week is to head out the door as soon as there is good light and take a 3 miles walk. The walk is uphill all the way from Lost Creek to Southwest parkway through a private neighborhood so there is no worry about early morning commuter traffic. The houses are pleasantly landscaped but rather boring so I am accompanied by my phone and a podcast. And you can probably guess the subject matter. Gardening, of course.
I have always listened to The British podcasts, Gardeners' Question Time and the RHS Gardening Podcast as well as Gardens Illustrated Magazine, but they are certainly not enough to feed my new hour long daily walk. GQT is once weekly and GI seems to have fallen by the wayside. ( I love listening to Sarah Raven one about cut flowers). I needed a new source. Enter the Still Growing-a weekly garden podcast. I think I may have listened to one segment some time ago when Pam Penick was interviewed.  I very quickly got used to listening to the Minnesota accent of Jennifer Eberling and absolutely love every bit of her program content. If only I could keep in my head all the information she shares. It has given me even more incentive to take that early morning  exercise.
I really like my new habit.

10 comments:

  1. I have been listening to Gardener's Question Time for a few years, thanks to you. I love it. KLBJ has good gardening programs on the weekends also. I will certainly check out Still Growing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying GQT. It's amazing how much relates to our gardening but then just interesting to hear all the other questions and answers. I learn so much. I really like to listen to good content with no interruption and that is provided by GQT-fast paced with no overstaying on the answers. Still going is the same way and the new link to Cultivating Place. Listened to one this morning.

      Delete
  2. Give Cultivating Place a listen too, it's a good one!
    http://mynspr.org/programs/cultivating-place-conversations-natural-history-and-human-impulse-garden#stream/0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for that link. I listened to Mary Anne Newcomer this morning. Nice to know some of the people you hear on the radio.

      Delete
  3. Exercise and garden coverage - what a great new habit! I need to break the morning news habit too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had that good a morning routine, but I love my snooze button a little too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are far more gardening podcasts than I think people realize! Try The Native Plant podcast sometime and In Defense of Plants, too. Cultivating Place is my new favorite this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links Misti. I have already downloaded one segment to listen to.

      Delete
  6. Well, that's a cheerful thought, that this dreary news cycle has had a positive benefit for you. I'm spending less time on the news as well. Autumn is for long walks -- thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying to not check news first thing in the am or last thing before bed. Both too dangerous to my blood pressure! And you are so right, early morning in the garden is the best time of all. I walk a mile or so at the gym before I do other exercises and I have been printing out poetry and memorizing it while I walk. Not that into having to carry my phone and ear buds, but I had not thought about garden podcasts as listening material. Thanks for a great idea and program. Especially since a MN program is the same zone as me.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.