My Blog List

Thursday, May 17, 2018

FRIDAY AT THE FLING

The itinerary for the first real day of 2018 Garden Bloggers Fling was, The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, the garden of Diana Kirby, ( Sharing Nature' Garden), The Natural Gardener nursery, with a talk from owner John Dromgoole, followed by lunch in their tented pavilion, and two afternoon tours at the Mirador garden and my garden (Rock Rose).

What can I say? How foolish of we Texas gardeners to have been praying for weeks for rain because this was the day it arrived and while we are at it, why not show our visitors what a real Texas rain looks like. That means 3 1/2" in a matter of 3 hours. I know they were rained out at the WFC, but heard the shop was doing a brisk business, and at Diana's they took shelter in the house. Thank goodness for the ponchos that everyone got in their swag bag.

Because my garden was on tour in the afternoon I was unable to go to the earlier events. I had anticipated going to Diana's and I probably would have if I had not been standing at the window staring out at rain sheeting off the roof. All the anticipation of showing this great group of garden bloggers my garden washed away in a matter of hours. I watched the radar intently but that system was moving so slowly. I made lunch and I don't usually have a glass of wine but this day I did. Then as the rain tapered off we got out the wet vac and began a clean up job on the patio where the waterfall had carried with it a sea of muddy soil. I felt a lot better after that. At 2:00pm a quick text from Pam told me the first group of 50 was on its way and David and I prepared to meet our guests. I gave David strict instructions to take photos because I knew I never would. This week when I asked him about the photos he said they were awful and had deleted them. Thanks goodness we could recover them because they are the only record I have that anyone came here. Apart from this photograph of Jenny Peterson brightening a dreary scene.

Jenny Peterson in her cheerful rain jacket

My garden does not show well in the rain partly because the current cottage garden-type flowers hang their heads and sulk when it rains. Not to mention my inability to control what is growing At least until they have set their seed. That means a lot of pushing plants aside to walk by plus places to plant feet are small. Did I worry that some of my little seedlings would be trampled? Absolutely not. Everyone was completely respectful of every little seedling and not a plant was damaged.



The group is gathered around me holding the branch with the praying mantis egg case and a tiny mantis is just hatching, running up and down the branch and onto my finger. I have a feeling he must have been terrified being ogled by a bunch of camera-toting poncho-wearing faces.


 That's it, the sum total of my photos.


But someone took a photo of the two of us as they were leaving. We look very happy don't we? But not as happy as I would have been if I could have shared my garden in better weather conditions.


So I am going to do that now. Come on in and notice how important shadow play is in the entrance to the garden.




The wet weather creek is dry now as sunny skies pervade once again.


Before you crossed the creek did you spot the hypertufa trough I made? I love the flap jack plant Kalanchoe thyrsiflora, because it grows quickly and takes on great color when stressed.


And the little seating area, also in the breezeway, which may have been hidden by the door. It's a favorite winter afternoon place to have a cup of tea because the sun shines right in here. Or we sometimes sit here in the shade in the morning.


The little table is just a plant pot with a piece of sturdy cardboard supporting years of shell collecting on beaches far and wide.



The wet weather creek continues across the path into the corner of the house.


Beneath the bird-planted yaupon holly, Ilex vomitoria,  as far as the 'I didn't plant that' Texas flowery senna tree, Senna corymbosa. They pop up everywhere but are not long lived. There are always more waiting in the wings but will they plant themselves so perfectly? It's a great place for the bird bath because and a hanging feeder because the tree affords them some shelter.


We used to have some Indian hawthorn plants here but I opted for a cleaner look with the A. desmettiana  'variegata' in the pot. Of course I can't help but add a few plants and a few seedlings are popping up.


When I walk to the end of the garden I like to glance back through a haze of Englemanns daisy.


I wonder if you noticed the water feature. The repurposed post support from a basketball stand dumped in the alley behind my son's house in Dallas. I knew immediately what its second life would become. Good job we were in the truck with a couple of strong backs to heave it up.


Now out through the front gates and around the back into the Secret garden.





And through the Gulag into the English garden. So much more inviting on a sunny day.


And then passing thought the Sun and Moon archway and down into the sunken garden.


And if you don't sit and linger for a while


 down into the herb and vegetable garden which on a sunny day is a hive of activity.


There! I feel so much better now that the rainy Friday is over with. Visits to gardens on Saturday and Sunday will be in the full sun, I can promise.

21 comments:

  1. I know it was the not the weather you wanted, Jenny, but I promise you it looked gorgeous. The oohs and ahhs that followed me as I led a group of bloggers around to the rear garden attested to that. I am grateful that you shared your garden with the bloggers -- one of the most inspirational gardens I know. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure Pam and I'm happy that so many found enjoyment in the visit on such a rainy day.

      Delete
  2. I loved your garden so much Jenny, I can't even express how much it meant to me, it was pure enchantment. I will say that I much prefer to photograph gardens on overcast days and this fit the bill-I was in the 2nd group so the rain was in retreat.I have looked at my photos over and over and hope my blog post can do your splendid garden justice. But there will never be anything like being there ! Thank you so much for having us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did ask for a cloudy day so that photogrpahy would be easier and visitors wouldn't fry. I guess I forgot to say no rain. It was a pleasure to have everyone in my garden and happy that everyone enjoyed the visit.

      Delete
  3. Jenny, no need to worry. Your garden was absolutely wonderful. As I was walking around taking photos, I heard a lot of oohing and aahing.

    I love how you let plants do their thing without feeling the need to control everything. I have newfound respect for annuals. They can contribute so much in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gerhard. I sometimes think it is a bit of a weakness allowing plants to do their thing. There are one or two that would just like to push out all the others. And a succession of annuals can add so much. You should see the bluebonnets when they are in flower.

      Delete
  4. I took more photos in your garden than any other during the 3 days of the Fling, Jenny. I started sorting through them just today and, although I can't say my photos will win any prizes for their quality, I can tell you I enjoyed your garden, sodden as it and I were at the time. I appreciate your sunny update all the more for having a better feel of the garden than I did prior to our visit. And of course it was wonderful to meet and get to know you a little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful to meet you Kris. I didn't get chance to spend a lot of time with you but maybe at ht next Fling. If we return to Ca I will most certainly give you a call. would love tis ee your garden and all those wonderful flowers you use to make your Monday arrangements.

      Delete
  5. Your garden was amazing - rain or not! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. There were so many ideas I picked up (some of which you shared in this post). And it was great to meet you as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all cadge a few ideas from the gardens we visit. I certainly have. I'm just glad that so many gardeners like to share their gardens and their ideas.

      Delete
  6. I was in the second group to visit (David must have stowed away the camera by then) and the weather wasn’t bad at all. Seeing your garden in person was a revelation. I thought I knew it well, but of course I did not. There was so much more to enjoy! I took so many photos in your garden (almost 200) I need to start editing them down so I can post soon, and this sunny tour will come in very handy as I attempt to identify all the different rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dying to see your photos and I don't think I ever saw you. Next time I'm hiring a dedicated photographer! But it seems I have never learnt on that score. So many tours and no photos.

      Delete
  7. I loved your garden, even in the rain. It was my favourite Ines in the trip and it's the subject of my latest post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved your post and I think I understand why you liked my garden. I saw the article with a photo of your garden and I thought, 'that planting looks quite a bit like mine' So nice to get together with you and the Brits. at a quieter time.

      Delete
  8. Jenny, your garden, rain or shine is a revelation. Such a pleasure meeting you! I remember in particular we chatted about Beth Chatto's garden -- her spirit is very much alive in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I wish I would have taken the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by your extraordinary garden! I loved seeing the Queen on your shell table top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden looks lovely in any condition. I'm always delighted to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry you were stressed by the weather, but delighted you've provided this curated tour just for ME. Right? Don't we each feel we've just had a private tour with Jenny? It was as it always is, any season, any weather - absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny--Yours was my favorite garden, rain and all. The rain (lighter for our bus that visited last in the day) may have added to the depth of colors. I feel extraordinarily fortunate to have visited your garden on this day! I haven't blogged about it yet, but I look forward to. I so enjoyed meeting you! Thank you Thank you Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh goodness, I can't say enough about how wonderful your garden is--rain or shine! Actually, we were able to see the wet weather creek in action. Also, as Alyse says, the moisture added to the depth of color. Your garden is one of my favorite gardens I've toured--ever! It's so unique, and you make such wonderful creative use of the conditions of your microclimates and ecosystems. Thank you so much for allowing us to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for opening up your garden to us. And capturing scenes I completely missed! It was great seeing you and David again.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.