My Blog List

Friday, October 2, 2009

A SPLASH OF COLOR

Although the amaranth is back in my garden by accident this year I must admit to enjoying the splash of color that the feather like flower heads add to the whole picture. A had a vase of the dried flower heads on the table and inevitably seeds dropped onto the path and were washed by rains to the edge of the sunken garden.

I have been watching the hummingbirds through the window and to my surprise they seem to be like visiting the flower for nectar.

The leaves of this plant are also attractive as the cooler weather brings out their multicolored hues.

They also form a nice backdrop to the medley of narrow leaf zinnia and cosmos.

8 comments:

  1. I had no idea amaranth was so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty blooms and leaves. I'm assuming the amaranth is real seedy and that's why it's there accidently??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is lovely -- I especially like the color of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iris and Jean- It is rather seedy but I do like to have one or two in the right places. Therein lies the problem!
    Sweet Bay- The leaves take on these gorgeous colors as the weather gets cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this jumble of color and texture. Cosmos are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty...I love all the color combinations! I enjoy looking at your gardening blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Curious Holts - Yes it is a bit of a jumble-Why is it that every one of those cosmos seeds germinates?Amy- Thanks Amy, I like having you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks beautiful. The different colors from the leaves and flowers of the plants makes your garden colorful.I liked the color of the flower of your Amaranth.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.