My Blog List

Thursday, October 15, 2009

GARDEN BLOGGERS' BLOOM DAY OCTOBER 2009

After what has seemed to be an eternity the rain and cloudy days are gone and bright sunshine has taken its place. Along with temperatures in the 90s and a heat index of 99 degrees. Most of the garden is all the better for the rain although the weeds are rampant. Carol, of Maydreams invites us to show what is growing in our garden in the middle of October.
This is the time of year when the daylight sensitive plants begin to bloom. They have been waiting in the wings with their green foliage for the shorter days and cooler nights.

High on my list of favorites is the Philippine violet. Although the plant usually dies back to the ground each winter, this year it did not. Still, I cut it back to improve the shape. It is a plant that neither bug nor disease seems to bother.

The Stapelia, Huernia.

Mexican marigold mint, Tagetes lucida, an acceptable substitute for tarragon.

The Japanese anemone x marguerite.

Then there are the big time spring bloomers who want to get in on the action. Damianita, Chrysactinia mexicana. Not the profuse blooming of the spring but a few flowers to mingle with the grasses.

African daisy, Osteospermum, resting for most of the summer.

and still the blanket flowers Gaillardia pulchella keeps blooming among the gomphrena and alyssum.

Greg's blue mistflower, Eupatorium greggii.

The hybrid blanket flower Gaillardia pulchella x 'Sundance'

Red spider zinnia, Zinnia tenuifolia 'red spider' among blackfoot daisies, Melampodium leucanthum.

White mandevilla climbing among the ripening berries of the Firethorn, Pyracantha.

Datura.

The inevitable sea of narrow leaf zinnias, Zinnia augustifolia, so plentiful this year because of the mild winter. The garden made it through the hottest summer on record. It can now rest and prepare itself for the big spring bloom. Judging by the number of wildflower seedlings 2010 is going to be a big year.

19 comments:

  1. Do you keep your Stapelia outside year round? I recently got one of these guys, just a little one, and while I'm keeping it outside for now, I'm not sure about bringing it in when the weather gets cooler. Mine is Stapelia kougabergensis, I believe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots, Jenny. Your garden certainly came through the summer with flying colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, Jenny. Your garden is just gorgeous. That Philippine Violet is a stunner.
    My garden is a big mess right now. I have a lot of work to do this winter.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's hoping we get all the El Nino rains promised, and we have a stellar wildflower season this Spring. Your garden look wonderful. Even though I lost a lot of plants this summer, what has survived, has perked up considerably with the recent rains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful garden! I love the way you've planted between the flagstones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love visiting your garden! The flowers are beautiful and I love that mass of self-seeded plants in the last shot. But, as always, I really appreciate those shots with some architecture in them as in the first image. I always get such a strong sense of place in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours is what I consider a cream of the crop example of Central Texas gardening at its very best. Just love the photos - especially the long shot. Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jinx- I have never left this plant out in the winter. I have a greenhouse, which is only heated on the coldest of nights. My garden is one of the coldest spots as the cold air drops down the hill. It freezes here when other parts of Austin or even the neighborhood are frost free.
    PAm- Our drip system seemed to work in most places but most of these plants are the tough ones.
    Linda- Yes, the Philippine violet is a sure fire plant and is a stunning fall bloomer.
    Morning Glories- As long as we don't go dry again it is going to be an outstanding spring judging by the incredible germination of wildflowers at my house.
    Queerby choice- Mostly these have planted themselves. I do a little rearranging but it is rather like making sourdough bread, once you have the starter it just keeps coming.
    MS- I'm with you. I like to see the whole picture. My sunken garden gets most of the glory when it comes to blogging! I'm glad you enjoyed the shots.
    Texas Deb- Thanks for your kind words. Texas is a tough place to garden- especially for an English woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jinx- Forgot to say. Look forward to reading your first blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your garden and have from the first time I saw it...gush,gush! It's exactly how I would garden if I lived in a sunny spot with flat ground. The datura is gorgeous. it must be a symphony of buzzing bees during the day. gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your overall photo is so delightful. I just want to stroll along the stones and look at everything up close.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jenny,
    Don't have much to say that others haven't already said and said quite well. I'm just always so pleased to see photos of your fantastic gardens--makes me happy! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely flowers for Bloom Day! Your garden looks beautiful. I love all of those narrowleaf zinnias.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool shot of the Datura. You have a lovely yard!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gail- Thanks for the wonderful comment. Made my day. Gardening on flat ground was exactly what I wanted and we made sure it would happen. There is quite a drop off across the lot and I think they thought we were crazy when we built on the flatter section at the bottom rather than the top with a view.
    Lisa- One of the pleasures of gardening is always going out and checking every nook and cranny among the stones.
    Iris- Thank you Iris. I'm glad you enjoy looking at my garden.
    Dreamy Bee- Thanks for stopping by. The datura wintered over and is finally looking like it should after a fierce summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! Your garden is so beautiful! I love your rock garden.

    I am familiar with many of your beautiful plants, Blackfoot Daisy being one of my favorites.

    I look forward to following your blog. It is so nice that we can grow many of the same types of plants.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always a treat to see pictures of your garden and how you've arranged the plants, yet leave room for self-sowers and spreading plants. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruth VS- Thanks for coming over on bloom day.
    azplantlady- I notice we share many of the same plants. One of my sons lives in Az so I get to visit and love the landscaping there.
    Carol- Most of them have arranged themselves and I just have to make sure they don't all take over.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its so fun to see your garden changing through the seasons with the predominant colors changing as well. Wouldn't a strong wildflower season in 2010 be a wonderful blessing from this past horrid summer!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.