My Blog List

Saturday, February 4, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS

when you go way for a really long time. We just returned after a 6 week trip and I have my work cut out to get the garden back in shape again. This is not a garden that likes to be left.


The broccoli goes to seed. 


and the nappa cabbage seeds which I put in before I left crowd each other out. Let's hope when I thin them out that they will head up, or has it just been too warm a winter for them. We'll be having lots of sauteed greens over the next few days.


For the first time I planted two of my garden squares with winter peas which will need to be turned in this week. Looks like quite a job as they have grown enormously with the warm weather and the rain. The potager doesn't usually look quite so green in early February.


It's a bluebonnet field in the front garden. I fear some of these will have to go.


The lemons in the potting shed are starting to bloom. I need to put them out now that I can take care of them.


Clumps of four nerve daisies in the gravelled front garden.


and blanket flowers.


I spent some time today cutting back the dwarf purple skullcaps, even though they were starting to flower. I like them to stay neat and rounded for the big spring bloom. I notice masses of buds on the blackfoot daisies too. Hate to cut them off but fear it is necessary.


I don't think there has been a month in the last year when the wine cup didn't bloom.


Or the alyssum in the cracks in the ledge stones in the sunken garden. Expect to find me working outside every spare minute I have.

18 comments:

  1. Welcome back!
    Glad to see blooms again. You can't do that to us northern gardeners--we NEED to see flowers!! No more travel!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you back! It's much better than the last time you returned from a trip, isn't it? I'll take too much growth over too much fried any time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But where are the weeds? My garden would be overtaken by henbit and thistle if I left it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly, welcome back! I hope you had a wonderful break and have returned refreshed. Your garden looks amazing even after having been left to its own devices for so long. I wish mine looked that good under my care! Nature is remarkably resilient even without our manicuring care. I can tell you're eager to get outdoors and put everything right in the manner in which you like it. I can't wait to see some AFTER pictures :) I know I have said this before, but how I envy all your stonework and decorative rocks. The effect is marvellously appealing to the eye. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! It rained while you were gone so Mother Nature took care of that part. As for the thinning and pulling up part, I can't imagine pulling up bluebonnets. Do they stand to be transplanted? Most wildflowers are not particularly happy with the idea, but you never know.
    David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! I think everything looks pretty good, considering the time you've been away. Too bad about the broccoli though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is not how my garden would look if I left it for 6 weeks! Please tell me there are weeds you just aren't showing, before I die of jealousy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home.

    We've had warm and wet, with some cold and wet thrown in. The good part is, we've had some WET.
    I agree with others...where are the weeds? That was my biggest crop in the veggie garden.

    Hope you had a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! You are back. I'm impatient to see how the indoor plants fared.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to have you back...I was starting to wonder if you'd decided to stop blogging!

    I'll echo the thoughts of other commenters...your garden looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back! It's been a bit of a wacky winter, but your garden looks ready for spring. That's a gorgeous alyssum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for the welcome back. It is really good to be home. You have no idea how I miss my garden and think about it all the time. There is much to be done. Weeds! my weeds are a little different from most. The paths are choking with larkspur, poppies, blanket flowers. I am yanking them out by the handful. There is much to be done. So glad you all stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back!!! Everything still looks nice in my opinion! Love the bluebonnets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. At least you have beautiful weeds, Jenny. Seriously, these look like "after" pictures, not "before" you tidied up when you got home.

    Looking forward to pics from your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Flowers and food from the garden after a 6-week absence? You're doing something right! Nice to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lush looking February garden! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back to this incredibly warm "winter." You are indeed going to be busy. It's amazing how many plants you have in bloom. I can tell you're an experienced gardener Jenny - you're willing to cut back your almost-blooming plants for the big spring show. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think your garden looks damn good for 6 weeks of neglect.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.