My Blog List

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

AN OUTING TO SEE THE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

Yesterday was a perfect day for the 72 mile Hill Country drive to Fredericksburg and Johnson City, to see the lights. Temperatures in the low 70s meant shorts and short sleeves for some but I opted for long pants because I knew when that sun went down, with such a clear sky, it would be mighty chilly.
On the way we stopped in at a couple of shops in Johnson City before continuing on to Fredericksburg to walk main street.


We'll be back later to see the lights on the Marktplatz and the traditional German pyramid, thought to be the inspiration for the Christmas tree.
Our favorite place to eat is the Navaho Grill and last night's meal did not disappoint. Cuisine of the south is an apt description. David started with a posole soup and I chose the corn and shrimp chowder which had plenty of southern heat. We followed this with main courses of Texas quail and braised short ribs( the Texas Wagyu organic beef raised like kobe beef) Both meals were wonderful but left us no room for dessert. The chef was even kind enough to come and and tell me something about the recipe for quail I had two years ago. I had been trying to replicate it, to no avail. We now returned to see the lights in the marktplatz.




Then it was on to Johnson City to the Pedernales Electric company and the fairyland of lights.





The dazzling display never ceases to fill me with a sense of wonderment. Our live oak trees sure dress up pretty.


We  encircled the courthouse, which always reminds me of a wedding cake, and then headed for home.

11 comments:

  1. The Johnson City lights are well worth the drive from Austin every year. It never ceases to amaze me how they wrap every bit of all those oaks in lights. It's magical indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what fun it is. The lights in Johnson City are beautifully done and Fredericksburg is a great Christmas town. Your meal at Navaho Grill sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic light show, and nice weather in which to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Thank you for sharing. We don't have much in the way of displays in our town. Always nice to see photos of places that really do it right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Christmas pyramid is absolutely magical. I'd seen it during the day previously, but never had a chance to catch it all lit up.

    (Having grown up in Central Texas I recall an era (long ago) when that same electric co-op was held in wide disregard for their high rates and questionable business practices. It makes me smile now to see them touted for their holiday light display. I keep thinking every one of those tiny lights represents an intention to be more worthy of the public's trust. )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shot with all the trees lit up- so pretty. I love to drive around and look at all the lights- we haven't done the Johnson City/ Fredericksburg trip in a while but well worth the drive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The meal sounds lovely and the lights look fabulous. Do you know how long the display lasts? My parents are coming to visit from the 26th to 30th and I bet they would appreciate the display and the drive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The light-wrapped trees are wonderful - and the description of your dinner made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! I wouldn't want to be the ones who take it all down after Christmas. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. So gorgeous. We really must take a trip out there some year. I don't think we'll make it this year (or more specifically, I'd like to go on a week night to at least not have as many people).

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.