My Blog List

Monday, December 15, 2014

GARDEN BLOGGERS' BLOOM DAY DECEMBER 2014

Mild days have meant that Texas gardens have not yet shut down for the winter. Many gardeners are reporting very early bloom times for plants such as iris and clematis.


I am a little sad that this mullein has decided to bloom early. Over the last month it has produced a rosette of leaves and sent out a flower stalk which is now in bloom. It was supposed to do this next year.


The same is true of the Carolina jessamine, Gelsemium sempervirens, which is usually a February bloomer in my garden.


Blanket flowers, Gaillardia pulchella, seem to bloom year round.


Heart-leaf ice plant, Aptenia cordifolia with welcome pink blooms.
But the general scene is one of a garden settling down for a winter's nap.


It's such a beautiful day I need to get outside and cut a few things back in readiness for spring. Wishing you a Happy Bloom day. Please join May Dreams Gardens and see what is blooming in other gardens.

9 comments:

  1. Blessings and curses of a mild (so far) fall and winter. I love the mullein bloom spike photo. I also had a pink ice plant bloom last week--one of the first for that plant this year. And, it was a lovely day today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always something blooming out of season or out of sequence to confound the gardener. Unseasonal weather triggers some strange sights, always lovely in your garden. You had a Blanket Flower, I had a Petunia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that really is early. Here the relatively mild weather has made some blooms appear on the forsythias, but other than that everything is in season. The Carolina jessamine which by some miracle resists the New England winters to cover an arbor in a rather run-down garden down the street usually blooms around the end of April.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cheery yellow of the mullein and the jessamine. Maybe the blooms will continue into the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is frustrating when some of the plants you are counting on for next year's displays pull the blossom trigger early. I have several bluebonnets (self reseeded) that decided to send up bloom stalks. I cut the stalks back on several of them and am waiting to see if the rosettes will rebloom when they are "supposed" to. Silly plants. I guess they've never read their own press releases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots going on still! I miss the three mulleins that I planted a year-and-a-half ago. They bloomed and were so beautiful and touchable, but then of course they died, and they didn't reseed. I'm going to have to find replacements next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only plants I had blooming this month were the tomatoes. Yes. Tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Certainly it has been a strange year! But your garden delights me, no matter how early/late it gears up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Certainly it has been a strange year! But your garden delights me, no matter how early/late it gears up.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.