My Blog List

Monday, November 10, 2008

GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY


This is a great recipe for using all the green tomatoes left at the end of the season. As frost is in the forecast for this weekend Austin gardeners might like to try this chutney which is great with curry, cheeses, ham etc. Every bit as good as Branston pickle!
I went ahead and picked green tomatoes this weekend. I don't think they will ripen this late in the season although I have left some of the larger ones on the south side of the plants in the hope that they will.

After all the chopping was done the pot went on the stove.



And it wasn't long before the chutney was in the pot.



As I am a great saver of all things that might have a second life, I pot the chutney up in old jam jars. Here's the recipe.


Green Tomato Chutney
3 lbs green tomatoes
2 lbs tart apples (I use granny Smiths)
2 c raisins
1 1/2 c diced onions
2 tsp garlic minced
2 c packed light brown sugar
1 c granulated sugar
2 tsp nn- iodized salt
1 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
3-4 T minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 T mustard seed
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp finely minced fresh red pepper or 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes

1. Cut up tomatoes into 1/2" chunks, removing stems and blemishes. About 8 cups. Place in large deep saucepan.

2. Peel, core and cut apples into 1/2" chunks and add to toms with raisins, onions, garlic, sugars, salt and vinegar. Bring to boil and when boiling reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently.

3. Add ginger, mustard, coriander, cinnamon and hot pepper and continue to boil slowly until the chutney holds its shape.

4. Ladle into sterilized hot jars and add lids. Process 10 mins in water bath.

I usually omit this last step. I find that packing into hot jars and capping is sufficient as long as the lids pop. If the lid fails to pop I put in the fridge.
Keeps for months.



5 comments:

  1. This chutney looks really good! I wish I had seen this a few weeks ago, before my Father cleaned up his Virginia garden for the winter. I'll have to remember it for next year for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I remember those red and white jar tops from 25 years ago! Are they still the same ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I like to recycle and these are recycled Bonne Maman jars but not quite that old. You remember them because you like BM too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We followed your recipe this weekend and the chutney turned out great. We are enjoying it with brie and French bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you like it. i now do a batch in the summer just in case I don't have a fall crop.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.