My Blog List

Saturday, August 22, 2009

WELCOMING WATER BACK

We always turn off our little water feature when we go away for fear that the pump will burn out due to lack of water. So it is one of the most important things to do when we get back home. Yesterday D worked on emptying out the old water , giving it a good clean and plugging it in. Voila! This simple water feature was made from an old planter with the drainage holes sealed up and a rock we found on our property with a nice hole. The hardest part of the whole job was digging that hole for the sump. The pump has been in action for 8 years which is pretty good going. We love the sound of the water trickling over the edges of the stone and so do the dragonflies.

Yesterday evening this little guy came to visit. I might tentatively identify him as Erythema vesiculosa, a great pondhawk, but I could easily be wrong. I think he was trying to chase me away because he kept flying around me and landing and taking off and coming back. I think he wanted to say thank you.

The drip system on the bird bath could not keep up with the unrelenting temperatures so it too was dry.

I have to fill it by hand every day.

This birdbath also relies on hand watering, but it is not a favorite place for the birds because there are no trees around. There is, however, plenty of food for them. They love the seed heads on the native cosmos, cone flowers and mealy blue sage. 


7 comments:

  1. I bet that bird bath feels like a hot tub after a few hours in this heat and sun, eh? I like your rock water feature and am amazed that you found a rock with a hole that was just right. I figured you'd have had to drill it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water does make the garden come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A water feature is always nice, but in this heat, it is appreciated even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know your friends are glad to have you back to give them water. I am watering bird baths and deer bowls twice a day every day. I can't imagine how hard this must be on them. Welcome home to the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam- You are right about the temperature of the water and that's when the orange algae starts to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize you were back till this evening. A wonderful read catching up. I'm just glad your back, safe and sound. I loved the pictures of the English gardens. They are always so stunning. My friend, Rachel Allenby, is from there. Her Mother comes once a year and always comes to the house to see my gardens and ponds. She has financed the refurbishment of the Pool Gardens close to her house and always brings me passes to get in. One day maybe I'll get to use them as I've always wanted to travel on another friend's[Harry Eaglestone] canal boat. I might just do it yet.

    The pictures of your gardens show what a great gardener you are, that you could leave them in the worst summer ever and they look so good when you get back.

    I realize that you had fun away but I'm glad you are back. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob- Thanks for the welcome back and it really is good to be home despite visiting all those lovely gardens in England- more to come. You must plan to get over there but make sure it is in the season that the gardens are open as many close for the winter. As to being a good gardener- enthusiastic maybe. How else would I be spending 4 hours every day trying to make amends for my absence-I have let too many invasive plants take over. Where are the Pool Gardens you mention. Are they open to the public? As to a longboat trip- that would be a splendid way to see the countryside and get to know a lot of pubs!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.