My Blog List

Sunday, July 25, 2010

TWO, THREE, FOUR AND ONE MORE

The nest on the front gate was finally finished and by the time I went out there with my camera two eggs were in the nest, but no sign of the birds anywhere. No angry calling, which is usually the case when you are near a nest.

Each morning another egg.

Until there were four.

The eggs were laid in the early morning so I never got to photograph number 5 as the bird was now sitting on the nest. I opened the gate and off she flew. No more going out to get the mail that way.
I suppose I had never really given too much thought to egg laying until recently. I'm sure those who have chickens know that the hen doesn't sit until she has a certain number of eggs in the nest. For wrens it appears to be five. The eggs remain cold until she starts to sit which means they all hatch about the same time. I learn many new things every day.
Pity my poor plant. It was doing so well. I may have to beg another cutting from Diana, Sharing Natures garden, next year, but it won't be going in this planter.

8 comments:

  1. She picked the perfect spot... for her way of thinking. It is not so convenient for you, though. :)
    I didn't know that about the certain number of eggs before she will warm them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe! How sweet! Lovely photos of the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a smart lady wren. She wants a comfortable and beautiful home for her little ones. I never knew that about wrens laying habits, either. Darling photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having just been through this myself, she should sit on them for 14-16 days before they hatch. How fun for you. And you're welcome to many more cuttings any time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! I used to have a wrens next just above my back door, we tried to move it gently when the painters came last year but when we put it back the wrens didn't return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan, I just caught up on all your recent posts that I've missed (going back to work has really cut into my blog time!). Things are looking gorgeous at your place as usual!! I had no idea that wrens lay that many eggs at one time. I love the Mexican wild petunia. I used to have a lot of those at my old Austin house, and they were various shades of lilac. Such hardy little things and not a nuisance plant. I wonder how well they would do in my neck of the woods??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy- The wren always manages to pick a spot that is inconvenient for us. I dare not leave the potting shed door open for fear of nest building. One time we had to leave the garage door open at the bottom when it was time to feed the nestlings which were in a shoe in the garage.
    Diana- Thanks. I was really enjoying the plant but that huge nest has really set it back.
    Conscious gardener- They always have a few more in the wings in case one doesn't work out for them
    Jean- Maybe I should be congratulating you on being back to work, Blogging does take a lot of time and reading blogs even more. No harm in giving ruellia a try. Want some seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me of my own bird's nest, except each time I checked, there was a SUBTRACTION. Finally two eggs remained. Only 1 hatched. Then one day I checked and baby bird was gone! :(

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.