My Blog List

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

GARDEN BLOGGERS' BLOOM DAY JUNE 2011

No doubt we will have another 100 degree day today, so I look forward to seeing how gardens are faring in cooler parts of the world. Thanks to Carol at Maydreams for bringing us all together.

It seems appropriate to showcase the blooms which match the temperature first. Dicliptera suberecta isn't fazed by the triple digit temperatures.


Nor is the Flame acanthus, Anisacanthus wrightii, which has similar tubular flowers attractive to hummingbirds.

This Gaillardia grandiflora 'fanfare' re seeded in a burgundy form this year.


Along with the simple burgundy flowered blanket flower.

I have never seen a yellow form before. One of nature's endless surprises.

Last year a white form of Echinacea appeared. This year there are more than ever.

Blue plumbago.

Some spring time lingerers, larkspur.

Chocolate daisy may not be the tidiest plant in the garden but it is a sure fire early morning performer and during the morning hours fills the air with that delicious chocolate fragrance.

Among white achillea and purple statice a new addition to the garden. Gomphrena 'fireworks', on tall slender stems, wafts in the breeze.


Coreopsis tinctoria.

Narrow leaf zinnia, Zinnia linearis.

Rock rose, Pavonia lasiopetala.

I still can't believe that this perfectly mounding purple skullcap, Scutellaria wrightii, is still alive after 5 years. It grows larger every year. Obviously very happy in the sunken garden.

In the herb garden, clouds of pretty pink flowers dancing on slender stems. This is dittany of Crete, Oregano dictamus. What happened to my plans to move some to hang over the low wall in the vegetable garden. Next year, maybe!
So from scorching hot Texas, Happy Bloom Day.

23 comments:

  1. My daughter lives outside Houston so I know the trials you have been having with heat, and little rain. But your garden certainly is beautiful and blooming. I love that Oregano dictamus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thansk for sharing! Most of that would have wilted here at 100F until the monsoon season! Though our Chocolate Flower just goes right through the heat and stays nice and compact, too. Amazing display for that heat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your drought resistant garden really stands up to the heat. Amazing that you were gone for 5 weeks and it still looks so good. I'm guessing the Oregano dictamus needs full sun and good drainage? I'd love to try that if I had either of those conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, Jenny. Glad to see your garden is thriving anyway. Still love that Dittany of Crete and forgot to pick some up this spring. Glad to be able to see it in your garden anyway, then. Gorgeous! And the burgandy blanket flower - how fun is that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! You're gone all that time, with this drought and this heat, and your garden still looks great.

    Happy Bloomday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your echinacea! It has become one of my favorite plants. Your plants are lovely! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are wonderful! makes me feel like I'm in your garden enjoying being surrounded by so many beautiful blooms... I've appreciated visiting your site! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty - the white echinacea is gorgeous. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how much survived after 5 weeks with no water! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I can't believe how gorgeous your garden is after your absence. I just can't seem to keep purple skullcap alive, darn it. My old pink skullcap, which I don't like as much, is faring fine. I'm in love with your burgundy blanket flower: is that something I can only find at the Wildflower Center?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was commenting to Pam at digging that I enjoy the looks of the southwest or Mediterranean gardens. the grays, flat greens, and muted flower colors are just so unique. I've always admired your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes, it may be hot, but your garden is just stunning...love those Echinacea...I'm so fond of the drooping petals! That Gomphrena is great...I actually looked for seeds of that one earlier this year and couldn't find any...will have to hit up the annual rack after all! The Skullcap is so perfect...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What Linda/patchwork said. I LOVE that Dittany of Crete. I found a tiny pot at The Natural Gardener, but it doesn't look like it's going to make it through the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden has a nice variety of blooms considering the drought. Though, I'll admit I had to get a drink of water after looking at it.

    Thanks for sharing your blooms for bloom day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your gardens look devine!!!!! Happy Bloom Day to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures. Lovely fountain. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! Dittany of Crete! I've been looking for that! But I love those zinnias the most. Thought I disliked them, but it turns out I dislike the overbred kind.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know what purple skullcap, Scutellaria wrightii was until I entered your garden but I sure love it and want to see if I can grow it too......Thanks for inviting me into your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That mounding purple skullcap is something else. Looks like your garden is recovering nicely from the Great Sprinkler Power Failure of 2011. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks to everyone who visited on bloom day. I'll be hopping over to check out your gardens when I have a minute. In the meantime I have answered a couple fo question.
    Cat- The oregano is in well draining soil but manages with 1/2 days sun in one place.
    Iris- Know what you mean about the pink skullcap, just not quite as pretty. I think the best way to grow the purple is to put the seeds out in a gravel area. If you like I will save some for you. Mine just re seeds itself.
    The burgundy blanket flower can be bought from Burpee but some of mine occur naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your photos are just beautiful. That lovely white coneflower is just SO pretty.

    Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog.

    Cheers from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your garden looks great! I especially like the purple skullcap. I need to look for that and the chocolate daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful shape on the purple skullcap! Gotta love big, happy plants. And the dittany of Crete blooms are so lovely; I don't think I've ever seen them before. Really great mix of rock mulch and plants.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.