My Blog List

Thursday, March 29, 2012

A NEW NATIVE IN MY GARDEN

I spotted a new wildflower out in my wild areas this morning.


I came in the house and checked in the Wildflowers of Texas handbook. Later I photographed the flower and examined it closely for structure. It is purple phaecelia, Phacelia patuliflora, frequently confused with baby-blue eyes, Nemophila phacelioides. Judging by the seed pods below it has been flowering for quite a while. I will be checking back for those mature seeds so that I can sow them in a place we can enjoy them more.


Growing alongside were some prickly poppies, Argemone albiflora, texana. They were the beacon that led me to the new plant and show up from time to time. Like all poppies it is much sought after by bees for its pollen.
They made me forget for a moment those nasty weeds that showed up this year. Phacelia, you made my day brighter.

10 comments:

  1. Discovery is so delightful isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful discovery. The plume poppy is beautiful too, and such lovely images of them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of the plume poppy. Is that your name for this white one?

      Delete
  3. What a sweet little thing. It does look a lot like the baby-blue eyes; I can see why the two would be easy to confuse. Lucky you--it's nice to find a gift like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty and delicate! I love finding new little wildflowers, they are little blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers!
    The second photo reminds me a lot, Romneya coulteri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked and yes, you are right, it does look the same. However, I see that plant is perennial and found only in California. It is a poppy though.

      Delete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.