My Blog List

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

THE GARDEN IS NEVER FAR FROM MY THOUGHTS

Do you forget about your garden when you are away from home? Not me. In fact I think about it more when I am gone. Wherever I travel I am seeking out gardens to visit, observing the road side plantings as well as mother nature's plantings we see when we hike. I'm forever thinking of new ideas for my own garden. Additionally, when I travel I like to bring home some little reminder of the trip. So let's look at what I brought home from England this time. I had to be careful because I didn't wan to exceed my luggage allowance.


The two little birds on the stone came from The National Herb Center. The little gate sign from the National Trust shop at Blickling along with the hand made cards which were part of a textile exhibition.  The brasses from a charity shop; the foxes who come to our garden will be really pleased with that one. The Lincoln Imp-well of course he came from Lincoln Cathedral gift shop. The fossil ammonites also came from a shop in Lincoln on Steep Street. If you read MY BRITISH GARDEN TOUR  Blog then you may remember that we drove down to the Jurassic Coast at Lyme Regis last year just so that I could see the ammonites on the beach. If only the shop on steep street had been open at 10am like it said on the door. As it was the only time I had to go back was between the taking of the wedding photographs at the statue of Tennyson outside the Cathedral and the reception. With a stiff wind blowing up the hill I negotiated Steep Street once again. This time the shop was open and I got my 5 for £5 ammonites. I am thinking of setting them in a cement paver.
I also brought home a few magazines; the current addition of Gardeners' World, Country Life and Homes and Gardens, along with a couple of old gardening magazines from a friend. They kept me busy as I settled in for the 8+ hour flight from Manchester to Atlanta. That and a glass or two of wine  (good old Delta still serving wine in economy, even if it is Chateau cardboard. I'm not fussy), and I'm as happy as a camper thinking about my garden back home.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I think about the garden all the time or are planning one in my mind as I fall asleep or looking at landscaping as we ride any where in the car. I never know how to find a place again if I'm riding because of looking at the plants etc on the trip. I some times wonder if something is wrong with me, I think about gardening so much. I look at pictures and gardening blogs and websites anytime I am at the computer. (this can be a problem when I am supposed to be working like now). I also dream gardening. I am an addict. Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us Carol. I really didn't want to mention those two words obsession and addition!

      Delete
  2. I splurged one year and subscribed to several English garden magazines. They were so beautiful I had to stop. You can't have an English garden in a place as dry as dust....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked into the subscription to Gardeners' World because I think it is the best. Has masses of reading material in each edition. However, just too pricey. Just have to fulfill my need when I go over there.

      Delete
  3. Hope your garden welcomes you with open arms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all gardeners have a bit of that addiction. I'm a bit like Carol, looking at landscaping instead of paying attention to where we're going. Mr. P is getting used to my spontaneously talking about a plant or hardscape, in the middle of a conversation....haha

    So...is a 'charity shop' like our thrift shops? At any rate, those are great finds. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't just want that gate sign, I NEED it!!! Even if I am the only one who forgets to shut the gate ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are indeed very lovely souvenirs. Great page.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.