My Blog List

Saturday, October 13, 2012

CELEBRATE TEXAS NATIVE PLANT WEEK OCT. 14-20

Wherever you live in this world fill your garden with native plants and you will be rewarded with plants that thrive in your particular soil and climatic conditions. From October 14th to October 20th we are celebrating Texas Native Plant Week.
I knew little about gardening with native plants until I came to Texas but now I couldn't imagine a garden without them. As we move into the final few months of the year central Texas is blessed with an array of fall blooming flowers. Let me show you what is blooming in my garden.

False annual broomweed, Amphiachyris dracunculoides. Rose palafox, Palafoxia rosea.


Rock rose, Pavonia lasiopetala.

 coneflower, Echinacea purpurea.

Salvia leucantha

Damianita, Chrysactinia mexicana

Daisyfleabane, Erigeron philadelphicus

Crow poison, Nothoscordum bivalve.

Lantana, Lantana horrida.

Blackfoot daisy, Melampodium leucanthum

Chocolate daisy, Berlandiera lyrata

Wright's skullcap, Scutellaria wrightii.

Blue gilia, Gilia rigidula

Hooker's palafox, Palafoxia hookeriana

Kidneywood, Eysenhardtia texana


Zexmenia, Wedelia texana

Salvia, Salvia greggii

Sunflowers

Blanket flowers, Gaillardia pulchella
Goldeneye, Viguiera dentata
We are fortunate to have an abundance of native flowers that are garden worthy. If you would like to learn about the native plants that grow in your area you can contact the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center for lists of native plants in your state. During the week of celebration there will be many activities at the Wildflower Center. If you live in the Austin area, on Monday October 15th from 2-3pm, the Watershed Protection Agency is sponsoring a tree walk though Zilker gardens.

11 comments:

  1. So much native beauty! I'm really curious about the coneflowers: are these plants that grew from seed earlier this year? I've never had a coneflower bloom after the middle of summer.

    You've reminded me again that I miss growing Chocolate flower. I need to make sure I grow these next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always over run with cone flowers. They pop up everywhere and those that bloom late are the young ones. They love Texas heat.

      Delete
  2. Texas is blessed to have so much beauty and diversity. I see several plants that I need to add to my garden. Thanks for all the pictures and botanical names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The roadsides have been beautiful, the last few weeks. This year's rain has really helped.
    I wondered what those pretty pink flowers were...Rose palafox. Thanks for the ID.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely. I just planted a ton of coneflower seeds in what I hope is the perfect spot. Will have to investigate Palafoxia and goldeneye, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roadsides are just filled with golden eye this year. I'll save you some seeds from both those and the palafoxia but they do need sun to do well.

      Delete
  5. Picked up a chocolate daisy at the plant sale Friday!! Have loved yours for too long :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salvia greggii is my favorite perennial, but I have such a hard time photographing it. You nailed it!! Wow, just gorgeous!! Photos of Zexmenia, another favorite of mine, never seem to do it the justice this great plant deserves either. Is that a sotol/dasylirion in the background of the gaillardia picture? Such beautiful form; just wish it weren't so thorny on the edges. This is a wonderful time of year for sure, another spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toni- The rain and cooler temperatures just brought the garden back to life.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the IDs in the first photo. I've been wondering about those. I can almost smell the kidneywood blooms. We used to live next door to some and it always made fall special. Yes, Texas is blessed in many ways but the wildflowers and other native plants are one of the biggest ways in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is full of blooms that are full and flowing. I particularly like your broomwood...just lovely! So many colors in your garden...like a painter's palette.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.