My Blog List

Friday, May 15, 2020

FRIDAY FLOWERS

I never expected my sunken garden and its surrounds to be a wildflower meadow but it seems that is exactly what I have. Does that disappoint me? Not really although I would love the wildflower meadow to be outside the main garden. But I love the profusion of blooms that greets me every morning when I step outside the door. Each new flower aiming beat the heat and fulfill its destiny-seeds.


And those seeds, wherever they fall, will create next year's garden. The coneflowers, Echinacea purpurea, are beginning to bloom alongside the gaura, Gaura lindheimeri. I have two varieties one pink and one white which seed around the garden and once they start blooming they bloom all summer long. And hidden among them I see the new leaves of the Mexican Bird of Paradise. It will be many weeks before that plant begins to bloom.


I didn't pull out as many of the mulleins as I said I would but they will not be long in the garden as they will soon enter into their rather messy phase. How I wish we could get the perennial kind that I see in English gardens. This one is my favorite although it is taking up more than its share of the sunken area.


Blue flax, Linum lewisii, with it long arching branches.



And scarlet flax, Linum rubrum, native to North Africa but naturalized in the USA. Always there is a plan to have more but always just a few develop.


Seen here with coreopsis and California poppies.


I grew this achillea from seed 2 years ago. It was supposed to be a much darker color. Sometimes the seeds will surprise you.


And also this foxglove, Digitalis purpurea,  which has taken it three years to flower.


On a rather humid morning the chocolate flowers, Berlandiera lyrata, filled the air with its delicious fragrance. They can't help but draw attention to themselves.


Bee balm, Monarda 'Peter's Purple' enjoys far too much success in this garden to the point of crowding out other plants, including the iris it has surrounded.


And under the shade of the Yucca rostrata the shrimp plant, Justicia brandegeeana has been blooming for several months.


 And a surprise shrimp plant which suddenly appeared has been identified as the native Montell bractspike, Yeatesia platystegia,


And finally Brazilian verbena, Verbena bonariensis with prickly pear.


 I rely heavily on the sunken garden to seed itself so never know what will be growing there from year to year. Unfortunately last year I lost all but one pink skullcap and all the purple skullcap which had been a staple in this garden for nearly 15 years but gardeners learn to move on and like Wilkins Micawber I rely on the fact that "Something will turn up" and it usually does.
Have a great weekend.

7 comments:

  1. Self-seeding has increased in my garden but I don't anticipate I'll ever have the beautiful displays you achieve in your garden. Whether I clean things up too soon or our persistent drought is at fault, I can't say. I finally got hold of Monarda 'Peter's Purple' last year and, somewhat to my surprise, it bloomed and it appears to be back this year but I'm sorry to say that it's still nowhere near as vigorous here as it is in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden is beautiful as it is and you have some beautiful plants. Peter's Purple is beautiful and an incredible magnet for bees, birds and hummingbirds. I hope ti does well for you.

      Delete
  2. Lot's of lovely things have "turned up" in your garden. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel. And I enjoy glimpses of your garden as we walk by.

      Delete
  3. Oh that verbena and prickly pear combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your garden! It is really lovely this year...maybe the mild winter. If you are ever in Houston I would love to show you our garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I would love to come visit if we ever get to go places again!

      Delete