My Blog List

Saturday, November 21, 2020

GARDENING IN NOVEMBER

 November is a busy time in the garden. Winter vegetables need to be tended and direct sowing of seeds. And there are seeds to be saved from summer bloomers. November finds my counters littered with saved plastic boxes filled with dried seed heads waiting for a little finger work. Tender plants are already in the greenhouse safe from expected frosts-although so far we have been fortunate. Apart from a few nights of temperatures in the high 30s we are now having Indian summer which is a lot nicer than a Texas summer. Warm dry days and cooler nights. The plants are loving it.

There are many years when the Copper Canyon daisy, Tagetes lemmonii, never gets to bloom. It can be so late that an early frost nips it in the bud. This year, however, it is spectacular.

The same is true of the Gomphrena 'grapes' Because it is a late bloomer it rarely get chance to bloom. In the end I gave the original plant away, but it had left behind some seedlings in the gravel, which I left, and this year the plants are blooming beautifully. They grew like spindles all summer and then about a month ago they started to produce flower heads. Maybe I will try to transplant into a place at the back of the border where they can mingle in among other plants including Verbena bonariensis. It is best grown where it can grow through other plants. 

Ajania pacifica, is another good fall bloomer. It is quite the spreader but easy to pull and performs well in a rock garden setting. 

But it is seed collecting time for many of the fading summer bloomers including the globe gomphrenas, pink and purple although not entirely necessary as they usually naturalize-sometimes a little too vigorously. Gomphrena 'fireworks' gives off a curry smell in the fall. The first year I grew the plant I remember thinking that one of my neighbors was busy making an Indian dinner! Since then it has shown up everywhere although none seems to have escaped the garden. It has a big tap root which often results in it overwintering. All the gomphrenas leave a lot of mess behind when the petals start to fall. Confetti time.

I have so many blanket flower and verbena seedlings that I have to move some of them to places where I would like them. Not in the pathway, although alyssum and daisy fleabane can stay. I will probably pull out the Mexican feather grass that is growing alongside it. 

I have already transplanted a few Larkspur from the vegetable beds to the sunken garden. I just have to make sure that the snails don't eat the seedlings before they are big enough to stand on their own two feet.What's going on in your garden?

Fruit is ripening on the citrus but it will be a few more weeks before I pick the kumquats and the calamondin to make marmalade. Lots of work but so worth the end result. We are terribly finicky about our marmalade and like the sweet/tangy taste when made from these little fruits. 

Kumquat

Calamondin

Improved Meyer lemon

I'm having one of the best winter vegetable garden seasons in quite a while. Already harvested pak choi, chard, peas and beets broccoli and carrots are well on the way to a good harvest. 

It's not often we get a successful pea harvest in the fall unless we protect the crop from frosts. This year, so far, no frost but then no rain either.

This variety is Cascadia which I have the best success with in spring. It produces tender posts that can be eaten at all stages from snap to full pod. They remain crisp and stringless. 

I don't know what I would do without my garden as it has kept me busy during these difficult stay-at-home days. 


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying pleasant weather, Jenny. Other than one really hot day, our November is much the same, although not quite as cold at night. My Tagetes lemmoii is also responding well to the weather shift. I was surprised to read that your Gomphrena 'Grapes' is a late bloomer as my 'Itsy Bitsy', which I believe is the same plant, literally blooms year-round here, unless I cut it back hard but even then it pauses for only 4-6 weeks before swinging back into action. Not having to worry about freezes here, I've sown seed throughout my cutting garden and will soon be branching into other areas of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny,
    My kumquat is also prolific. I've been eating them raw as snacks. I'd like to make some marmalade out of them. Do you mind sharing your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing better than eating fresh from the garden. Interesting to hear what you do with the calamondins and kumquats. Have always thought calamondins were just ornamental.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can check this post for how I make the marmalade. DId the same with the kumquats but added some ginger. https://wwwrockrose.blogspot.com/2015/12/to-pick-or-not-to-pick.html

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the recipe! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete