My Blog List

Saturday, January 2, 2021

PARSLEY, SAGE, ROSEMARY, AND THYME

Very shortly after we moved into the house, and with a clean slate, I began work on designing the herb and vegetable garden. The good growing season was coming up and I wanted to be able to plant a fall/winter crop. There is rarely a day goes by when I do not go into the garden to pick some herbs to enhance my dinners.

And like many herb gardens there is a sprinkling of flowers, some of them edible, and a few grasses to soften the paving made by David. (Today it is easier to find larger pavers but 20years ago it was impossible.)

Whether fresh or dried, herbs are plants that I could never do without and they are so easy to grow. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme plus chives, oregano, marjoram, mint, cilantro, and lemon grass all have found a home in my garden. And for those who do not have a garden many of these can be grown together in a single pot placed outside the kitchen door or on a sunny kitchen window ledge in the house.

This is a herb garden I made for my son for Christmas. Unfortunately it never reached him as we had to cancel our plans to go visit. Notice the addition of edible flowers. Among the herbs I planted are chive (onion and garlic) parsley, cilantro, marjoram and mint. If grown organically, flowers of violas can be added to your salads. 

Below I have picked thyme and rosemary which are the only herbs needed to flavor  my slow cooker pot of white beans. 

I also use rosemary chopped with garlic, salt and olive oils as a marinade for rack of lamb.

A sprinkle of dried thyme leaves, olive oil and salt is all you need to enhance the taste of roast tomatoes.


I grow two different kinds of sage. The first, Salvia officinalis, is the culinary sage. It grows year round in my garden. In early spring it flowers with the most amazing blue flowers worthy of any garden setting. It is easily propagated in the fall by bending a stem and pinning it to the ground ( the technique of layering)..

The second one is more ornamental, although it can be used in the kitchen. It has more rounded leaves Salvia officinalis 'Berggarten'


I use sage in stuffings and fried in butter or oil as a delicious finishing touch on the top of Italian dishes such as risotto..


Mint has been given a dedicated place alongside the potting shed and beneath the window box where I can
control it. It does need continual cut back to prevent it taking over the path but has found a happy home in this spot. This year I started using in in lamb burgers along with cumin and feta cheese. So delicious. Also, in mint sauce which we have with lamb, although I still prefer redcurrant jelly. It is great in a water melon salad with feta cheese and arugula. 

 I also use mint chopped with feta cheese and cumin in lamb burgers. 


It is impossible in our climate to successfully grow French tarragon but a good substitute in Mexican mint marigold, seen below with yellow flowers. I grow it mainly as a late-flowering ornamental.  


I grow 2 varieties of chive, onion chives and garlic chive. I prefer the former but it is more difficult to grow because the snails seem to really like it and frequently sever the plant at the base. It grows best throughout the winter blooming with beautiful balls of lilac flowers, which can also be used in salads. It is distinguished from garlic chives by its hollow round stems. Garlic chives have flat stems and have the typical allium white flower heads. 

Onion chive.

I also grow society garlic but only for its flowers and performance in our Texas climate. I have been told that the leaves can be used as a flavoring and the reason it was called society garlic was because it did not cause the same breathy problem that garlic does. I'm not sure this is really true!

                                                                                dill

The feathery fronds of dill are wonderful with fish and eggs. 

Cilantro I always allow to flower and go to seed so every year, in the fall,  cilantro pops up all over the garden. It is growing in among beets and carrots this year as well as in the herb garden path.


I grow Italian parsley, another herb I permit to go to seed, and find it popping up in many places. 


And finally oregano. I try to pick the stems early in the morning to hang in bunches to dry. I then crumble the leaves into a jar to use in many Italian dishes. Mixed chopped herbs are delicious in polenta. Oregano grows throughout the year and must be cut back frequently if you want to prevent it going to seed and keep it nicely shaped. It makes a useful small evergreen shrub for the garden. 

Basil is a summer herb which grows well for us in Texas. It dies over the winter and must be replaced every spring when temperatures are well about 50°

If you don't have a specific place for growing herbs then plants them in among garden plants. They will reward you by flavoring your food year round as well as saving you money at the grocery store. 


10 comments:

  1. As with all parts of your garden, your herb collection is impressive. While I have more rosemary and thyme than I can possibly use, I'm light on the other elements at present but I'm always on the look-out for another spot to tuck more herbs in. Best wishes for the new year, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary and thyme are used quit e a lot in my kitchen and ZI love that rosemary flowers during the winter which is a bonus.

      Delete
  2. We grow a few herbs but our collection isn’t nearly as big as yours and everything we have must be grown in pots to give them sharp drainage. Parsley is for the black swallowtails or at least that’s what they think! lol

    Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your herb garden is very impressive and so well planned. I have not seen the Mexican mint marigold before. It adds a nice touch with the yellow blooms. I have been growing herbs for my husband to cook with for years, but the space I have for it is not as massive as yours! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it is well planned but I drew my inspiration from a pho in a book where the pavers had all kinds of small herbs rowing between the cracks. Unfortunately this also has its downside as weeds also like those cracks.

      Delete
  4. Your herb garden is very impressive and so well planned. I have not seen the Mexican mint marigold before. It adds a nice touch with the yellow blooms. I have been growing herbs for my husband to cook with for years, but the space I have for it is not as massive as yours! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. That is so kind of you. I am glad you enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. So wonderful to be able to still be harvesting herbs. This year I planted herbs as companion plants, and they went nuts! Especially the cilantro, sage and lemon thyme. Thankfully, I was able to freeze a lot of it, so I'll have plenty throughout the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Companion planting is a wonderful way to tuck a few herbs into the garden bed. Hope you have enough to see you through the winter.

      Delete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.