My Blog List

Saturday, March 20, 2021

I REALLY SMELL!

Have I got your attention? Well, if I haven't then wait until evening because that is when I will wow you with the most incredible fragrance. And look how small I am! Just a foot tall and skinny with it. 

 


Who am I? I'm Sansevieria parva, or the Kenyan hyacinth and as you might guess I am native to Eastern Africa. 

 

Until a couple for weeks ago I simply consisted of ten or so strappy, foot-long leaves each dark green and banded horizontally with a lighter green. Then suddenly I produced a flowers stalk which grew in length until my flowers began to open from the bottom up.

 

My blooms stay open during the day but it is at night I come to life perfuming the air with the sweetest springtime fragrance, reminiscent of hyacainths.

I don't like too much water and prefer a well draining cactus mix and don't leave me out in the cold. Only zone 10 and up for outdoors. I am perfectly happy in a bright room with indirect light and treat me right I will perfume your house in the spring for many nights and I may even make babies.

6 comments:

  1. Pretty and fragrant - I'm going to look for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't think I've seen or smelled this one (or, if so, maybe it was at a botanical garden). Looks like a great house plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is THIS?? Thanks for the info on this lovely plant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Beautiful flowers!
    I saw at a craft fair that they can be dried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, what a remarkable plant! Might have to look into getting one myself!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.