My Blog List

Friday, October 8, 2021

THE NEW PAD

When it comes to the garden that is exactly what it is, a pad of concrete on which I will garden for the next few months. It is a new experience for me and I am 'digging in ' with the enthusiasm of a die-hard gardener. Years ago, as I steadily added more cactus and succulents to my collection, I realized that my future probably held more of this kind of gardening, be it on a patio or in the desert itself. My cactus should be happy because now I can give them my undivided attention. I'll try not to over-water! 

 

They had a respite over at a neighbor's house. Some were under a car port some were under a persimmon tree where they were rained on during a deluge and then had leaves and dirt blown over them by a gas blower! One was blown out of its pot and across the driveway where my neighbor found it. Of course I told her not to worry as I apologized for landing her with so many plants. She is now taking quite an interest in growing succulents as she has been privy to several of mine flowering.  This one today, Stapelia gigantea.

 I told her how it attracts flies to its rotten meat smell and as soon as I see a fly has visited and laid eggs, witnessed by the small white wiggling larvae, it's time for me to snip it off and put it in a bag and dispose of it.

I also have one blooming over here but it is rather different. Not so showy but certainly very stinky. David was standing on the grass about 12' away when he said he could smell a foul smell. Is it dog poo, I asked, because everyone here has dogs and sometimes two, and most of them get a short walk to the grass while their owner checks their cell phone. We see it all the time. Once in the morning and once after work! 

 This is my stinky bloom, Stapelia leendertziae, black bells. It comes from Tanzania and Northeastern South Africa. To us its smell is vile but to the blow fly it smells like rotting meat and although it may be disappointed at not finding a dead rat it is a good place to lay its eggs. A stem was given me by a friend who had visited the area and I waited patiently for many years for it to produce a bloom. I will admit that I was mildly disappointed in the bloom but if it was the smell I was interested in there would be no disappointment whatsoever. It is much stinkier than the gigantea. Having learnt that it grows low to the ground I decided to put the pot on the ground so the flower would be turned up. As I put it down a fly flew out and a huge waft of foul odor reached my nostrils. That was it. Off with its head and in the bin.


 The patio has a wider section off the dining room doors and then this narrower section, which I have yet to fill with plants. We sold all our teak patio furniture at a consignments store  keeping only this small green plastic table and chairs and a couple of small teak chairs. We may be sorry some day in the not too distant future when we try to replace them and find the tremendous back-log of container ships goes on well into the future.


 I also managed to find a couple of pieces of metal art which I was able to fasten to the railing. Glad I kept those little green grocery store ties. They came in handy.


In the corner by the little table there is a shaded spot perfect for the house plants. 

It makes me feel more at home to have my plants around me. More to be added this weekend. Meanwhile back to the boxes.

7 comments:

  1. Your lovely plants seem to have survived their move unscathed. I hope you are doing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely to see which plants have followed you to your new home. I can't imagine you without them and some garden art for long x

    ReplyDelete
  3. it’s amazing what even a few plants will do to perk up a space and our own hearts. My move was hard, too, coming to a place without a single blooming plant and only ivy and cast iron plants. You’ve already transformed your balcony space to reflect your style and make it beautiful. Glad you were able to bring some of your babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy gardening in this new space! It must feel more like home, even if its only temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two find creativity wherever you land! This is so inspiring! I love the idea of metal art attached to the railing: such a great solution for many living in apartments and condos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks great, Jenny. Your collection is nicely curated and I'm glad you left room for the two of you to sit outside with the plants as I know how much your enjoy having meals in their company! I suspect there's also enough room to tuck in another plant here or there should you find something you can't pass up as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All it takes is a few pots of greenery to make a space more welcoming. Very inviting. You might enjoy a simpler garden for a while. Nothing like a bit of a holiday to get you remotivated for your next home.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.