My Blog List

Saturday, November 27, 2021

PART 1 LOADING THE PLANTS.

You didn't think I was going to leave all my plants behind, did you? It would be far too traumatic to leave everything. After all I am leaving my friends, house, garden, city and way of life for 27 years. I'm taking my potted plants with me and as you may have discovered the movers will not take plants. We have to take them ourselves and in a week's time we will be back for the real move. So this morning David pulled a U Haul into the apartment complex, reversing it into a spot just as close to the pathway to our door as possible.

I am going to take this advert on the side of the trailer as a good omen. Yes, we are setting out on a big adventure.

I have been busy all week packing the plants into boxes, But first of all I made sure there were no hitch-hikers. I examined everything closely for signs of scale and mealy bugs, giving them a spray of 70% alcohol. These little bottles you can pick up at the drug store are very handy for the job. 

Some plants got the festive treatment. This seedling Philippine violet, which sprouted after days of freezing temperatures and ice last year, may not survive the summer in Tucson but I will give it my best shot.



Some of the plants went side-on in the box and I needed to secure the gravel in the top of the pot.



We are on the ground floor. You might guess that after weeks of clear blue skies today it is raining, so between showers David began the job of loading the first group of plants. We are on a tight schedule as tomorrow we go over to my old neighbor's house to pick up the last of the plants and a couple of pots. 

I'm the one who read the instructions on the U Haul which say pack 60% to back and 40% to front. I fretted on the side line about getting that right as some of those boxes are very heavy. David assures me it will be. The test will be the open road. For the first time we will not take I 10 because we are tired of the truck traffic on that road. Instead we will go via New Mexico stopping the night in Carlsbad, which is exactly half way. We have driven that way before towing the Airstream so it shouldn't be a problem. Slow and steady will be our motto. 

At breakfast this morning I reminded David that there has only been one other time we pulled a U Haul and that was in March1969 when we relocated from Austin to Brockville, Ontario, with all our worldly goods. Our towing vehicle was our 1953 Chevrolet which had no heat and no AC. I was in the early stages of pregnancy and not feeling too well. We had been living in a furnished rental apartment so had no furniture. Just a small TV, record player, a portable tape deck, my sewing machine, a stack of records, two little tables we picked up at a garage sale, a few dishes and cooking pots and bedding. No plants.

 When we got into New York State we were stopped by the police because the U Haul sticker was out of date! 

Please note that David is wearing a suit!

So here we have the first U Haul trip and hopefully the last. Wish us luck.

17 comments:

  1. So cool that you have the U-Haul picture from 1969! A suit, no plants, and a classic looking car -- quite a change from 2021, but you guys still have a great sense of adventure. Good luck with the plants, and with the rest of the move too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you the very best! I just showed my husband the images of your plants and boxes and he shook his head. Not for why I would think (moving plants) but because you're going from Austin to Tucson. Such a cultural shift, as well as a harsher climate (his words). As for me I hope to visit you in Tucson someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cross-country shipping company couldn't pack plants better than that, Jenny! Best wishes for a smooth trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mucha suerte en vuestra aventura y en vuestro canvio de vida,un saludo desde España y siga deleitàndonos con su plantas y aventuras

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay safe, and careful on your back lifting things

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a professional wrap job for the plants. I do wish you the best on the road. I enjoyed seeing the flash back of your first move. I hope this one goes even more smoothly. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best to you, Jenny, in your new adventure. Looking forward to reading about your new home and gardening stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU for the wonderful tutorial on packing and shipping plants! Even if you have to do it yourself. The saga continues ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So looking forward to your posts from your new garden. Good luck with the move. It's so fun to see the memory photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you are taking your plants. They are family after all. Good luck with the big move

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story all around and what energy you two have! Great tips on packing plants, indeed. I love the picture with the 1953 car, David, and the U-Haul. Was your apartment in that complex? Anyway, you're both experts at taking on adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been thinking of you and holding you both in my heart. It is so hard to move, but I love your plucky story about that first u-haul move. I can't believe David was wearing a suit. Different times! I hope everything was uneventful, and your plants made it all the way with you unscathed. ~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  13. How things change, except David has the same mannerism. When I returned home last week we may have passed each other, perhaps along Oracle Road or if you had to return to (scary) I-10!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.