My Blog List

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

WAIT A YEAR, THEY SAY

 I'm sure you have heard this piece of advice given when you move into a new house. Take the time to understand the passage of the sun through the year, mark the various micro climates around the garden. When the garden is already planted watch through each of the seasons as plants come and go. Catalogue which plants you have, which will stay and which will go. All the while planning new areas and new plantings.

Sound advice but not for me. I will say I complained the first time I saw the house. "It's already planted. There is no gardening to do" How wrong I was. After moving in and taking a good look around I very quickly saw there was no time to lose. Most of the agave have reached a point where they need to be removed. So far we have removed 3. There are at least 3 more to remove. One monster, one large one and one smaller one at the back. If David thought he would never have to remove another agave after the tens he removed at our last house he was wrong. Thank goodness we kept the chain saw and the pick axes which I insisted on bringing.

Why would anyone plant an A. weberi so close to the fence? It had grown so big that growth of the Texas Mountain laurel planted next to it had been compromised.

I cut off the leaves and then called in the big guns to get out the root. 


Next to go, this monster. I have always thought A. weberii to be pretty innocuous as agave go but these ones have small teeth.

This time David didn't beat about the bush but got out the chain saw, making quick work of it. 

 

I have my eye on this spot to plant either a new calamondin or an satsuma tree. The shops are full of citrus at the moment so I shouldn't have a problem finding one.

I have begun work on making a retaining wall around the mound. Originally the area was piled up with rocks, which prevented us from walking down the side. Now with the soil retained further back I can use left over rocks to make a pathway. 

I am not 100% happy with the rock work but I must make do with what I have on hand and these angular lumps of granite are not as easy to work with as the flat limestone stones I have used in the past. Still I am hoping that succulents and cactus will soften the edges and find a happy home in the nooks and crannies.

After reorganizing the rocks beneath the roof scupper outfalls I will get a few bags of gravel from the local big box store to put down on the rest of the pathway and between the cracks.

 


There is more rock work to do here but I am making a list of plants that I hope to introduce to this part of the garden. Most are desert dwellers. On my list are,

Agave parryi, var, truncata, Artichoke agave,  Euphorbia resinifera Moroccan mound, Echinocereus triglochidiatus Claret cup, Echinocereus engelmannii Engelmanns hedgehog, Aloe x 'Blue elf', as well as many flowering perennials with which I am familiar like Melampodium leucanthum, Blackfoot daisy, Tetraneuris acaulis, Angelita daisy, Damianita and Berlandiera lyrata, chocolate flower.

Let the shopping begin.



9 comments:

  1. Have fun shopping between agave removals, Jenny! I'm not at all surprised you've already got a list compiled ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Rocks! That is a lot of heavy duty gardening. I am sure it will be beautiful when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited for you and not surprised that you've begun rearranging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock Rose living up to her name in a new garden -- why am I not surprised? ;) Happy rearranging, reworking, and replanting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a rock rose plant at HD yesterday and hovered over it for a while. Just don;t have the spot for it right now.Maybe tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. So glad you are excited about making the garden yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it interesting how our interpretation of what we see changes when we start focusing in on "Oh no, I have to do something about that!" Once that focus has shifted, unfortunately more and more things seem to pop up that need some work. Pace yourselves and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How right you are. The agave looked very nice until I took stock of the fact that we had already been there with large agave and you can't let them live forever. They can swallow up a landscape. My husband just loves taking out agave and says, "Let's take more"

      Delete
  7. I love hearing your thoughts behind the areas you're redoing and the plants you're excited about introducing. How lucky we are to go along as you and David make this garden your own!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.