My Blog List

Saturday, March 18, 2023

HOME IS WHERE THE GARDEN IS

We recently returned home from a wonderful trip to Organ Pipe Cactus NP. It is only 3 hours away and we towed our trailer there, spending 6 nights. When it came time to leave I was wishing we could stay longer but then arriving back at our house I felt, for the first time, that this was coming home. There were many things I had been missing over the year but one of them was enthusiasm for writing a blog post, as well as continuing work in the garden. I began to feel as though the whole blogging thing was at an end. I started but failed to finish several posts. I wasn't even reading any blogger posts. It was a missing part of my life that I had enjoyed so much. Feeling in a much more positive mood I am hoping to revive it. 

While we were gone Oro Valley was treated to 4" of snow. The internet was full of pretty photos of the saguaros and all trees dressed in white. Oops! I had already put several cactus and succulents outside. It was as though I was being encouraged to stop gardening in pots in a harsh summer climate with occasional surprise winters. My Mexican lime tree, the least hardy of all the citrus and still in its pot, had been put outside again. It was in full flower as we left. 

We left the highway and made our way across the desert floor and into the neighborhoods surrounding the house I couldn't help but notice the damage on many of the bushes already in leaf. The brittle bushes were brittle! I didn't hold out much hope for some of my plants and particularly my trailing lantana which had survived several freezes, the pots of spring flowers, the blooming lime tree. As we pulled into the driveway I was greeted by the lantana, still blooming and the first of the penstemons, P. greggi. 

 

The flowering lantana was a surprise. I wonder if this area is more sheltered. Is it possible that being at the high spot on the street we get the benefit of any frost rolling away. Having previously lived years in a low frost pocket this will be a treat. 

I walked out onto the patio and startled a big, fat rabbit. It was feasting on the wild red flax I had so lovingly and patiently grown from seed. Eaten down to a couple of inches. Poppies and nigella were left intact. The good news is the flax is now growing again and possibly better for the pruning. It is now protected from nibblers, at least for the time being. A firecracker penstemon blooming behind the red flax plant.The problem here is that I can keep the javelinas out but the smaller critters are a devil for eating smaller succulents, the fresh centers of young agave and small cactus. I am protecting a few small plants with the wire waste baskets I picked up at the dollar store.


 

The rabbit really likes the chocolate daisy-well who doesn't- and I was successful in starting some from seed last year so I have quite a few to protect. More trips to the dollar store in my future.

The grapefruit tree, planted last spring was also on my worry list but it came through the snow like a trooper and is now making flowers buds. Will we have grapefruit this year? I have learnt that citrus are incredibly fussy and the slightest thing to upset them will make them drop their fruit. The wrong kind of watering is number one. They must have deep watering and be allowed to dry out some between watering.

In the event it doesn't produce I can fall back on the 3 neighborhood grapefuit trees which have provided us with a morning grapefruit since the beginning of the year. 

The self watering planter boxes I picked up an estate sale for a few dollars survived a week away. I filled up the tank before I left and the Swiss chard and herbs were looking very good. I like these boxes so much I have just ordered 3 more. You can find them https://www.agardenpatch.com

 

 I plan to use the area under the bedroom window, with the boxes raised up on blocks and  partially shaded during the summer. David is in the process of adding an irrigation line. In the past we have used a battery powered line for pots, but I always have concern about leaving the house water on when we leave. This way watering will be independent of the house line. David visited the sprinkler parts store where they kitted him out with everything he needed. Our irrigation is drip feed as the most important thing here is long slow watering.



The ground here is nothing but desert sand so is fairly easy to dig a trench by hand, following the two other lines, to trees and shrubs. Well done David. The hard part will be deciding where to put the emitters as it is usual in the desert to put the emitter in the pipe rather than at the end of the 1/4" line. This will be my job. The boxes should arrive this week and then we will set up the boxes and emitters. 

Lots of plants are beginning to break dormancy including the bougainvillea, anacacho orchid tree, and Meyer lemon.

 


There are small buds on the lemon that was planted in the ground and the calamondin is once again flowering like crazy. I think it may be another stress bloom where no fruit sets. 

 

Stay tuned for views of the desert superbloom.

15 comments:

  1. The Penstemon/Lantana mix is gorgeous! I'm glad to hear you're getting your groove back, Jenny. I've missed your posts. The snowy desert scene is impressive, as is your success is making it through the event relatively unscathed. Rabbits seem to be a perpetual challenge here too - they didn't show up until about 4 years ago (we've been here 12 years) but all the wishes in the world haven't sent them packing. I moved my own wire cages around this morning, just trying to keep a step ahead but that may be a fool's goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it is just one rabbit I am OK with it but I know how they breed and bring their babies in for meals. Having made it through the winter I now have another summer to deal with and we will be traveling quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. I have missed you! Glad you are back to posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Let's hope I cna keep in going.

      Delete
    2. Thankyou. I am hoping I will be able to keep it up.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Kris about rabbits. They were never a problem until recently. Luckily the turkeys and deer and very rare. Looking at the trench reminded me of when my husband was doing that. A big project even if the digging isn't too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strange thing is he wanted to fill it back in before we have decided where the drip tubes will go.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back. I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It’s good to find myself back in the saddle again

      Delete
  5. I use those wire baskets, too--they really help. The photo of your Swiss chard with the cacti and skyline in the background is stunning! Glad you had a great little trip and are happily back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it must seem strange to see chard and saguaro in the same photo but we do have a decent growing season for vegetables and this one has really enjoyed the winter.

      Delete
  6. It turns out rabbits are on a path to take over the world. I've never had to deal with them until the last couple of years and they are evil little critters! I'm so glad your garden was there to great you with happy surprises, winter has been horrible here and with a flagging enthusiasm for blogging the garden disasters are pushing me further and further from enjoying it. Will you be attending the Fling this year? (I am)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently we don't have enough predators for them here and I fear with development it will drive away the bobcats and coyotes. Hard to keep the balance of nature where humans are concerned. Unfortunately you won't see us at the Fling this year. We have a lot of summer travel from May until August and then again in November. Of course this is one I would very much like to join as I know it will be fabulous.

      Delete
  7. So glad to read your posts again. I enjoy them very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’m looking forward to sharing my spring with everyone.

      Delete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.